Monday, February 3, 2014

A Peek Into My Process



I've been working on the first of three
holiday-fabric quilts to be gifted at the end of the year.

All three feature fabrics from one Laurel Burch line
plus other Laurel Burch fabrics (etc.) from my stash.

And all three will be made using different patterns.




Speaking of patterns . . . 

Those who visit here often already know 
I don't follow pattern directions well.

This project is a perfect case in point.

The photo above shows the book's pattern photo.
(book title and maker's name included)

Lovely monochromatic look
with beautiful batik fabrics ~

However,
my fabric options were/are limited in quantity
and were/are eclectic in nature.

I also chose to use a single color
for the narrow center stripes.





Even if I hadn't already decided to go my own way,
when I came to this part of the pattern, I quit reading altogether.




In order to maximize what I could do
with my 44 now-stitched-together sets,
I opted for a much simpler sub-cut approach.

There's more than  one way to get to the end result!




And, despite the seemingly-random nature of my fabrics,
there is an underlying rhythm to the final layout.




All sets with a red strip
or this reads-almost-as-a-red print
became Group I.

All others were assigned to Group II.

Group I was trimmed to 20" lengths.
(some came so close that I had to include part of the white selvage,
which, thankfully, fell within the the seam allowances)

Group II's strip sets were cut into two 10-inch lengths,
then paired but into opposing orientations.
(think seriously elongated four-patches)




A couple of power-stitching-pressing hours later . . .

here is an indoor floor photo of the 60" x 76" flimsy!




This Paula Nadlestern print will be used for the backing.

I'll use the skinny-inset-strip purple 
when it comes time to add binding.
(one more way to help tie things all together)


* * *

Now I'm off to play with my RSC14 pink scraps, strings, and crumbs.

See you again on Saturday!




Quiltdivajulie

12 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think using patterns for inspiration rather than making exact copies is more fun any way. I love how yours came out. I have my eye on that pattern in the book too.

Brenda said...

I like this process because it makes the quilt design you're own. I don't know what that list of numbers was about-- but it seems complicated!

Debra Dixon said...

I like what you've sewn a lot. Personal interpretation is always so much more interesting to me.

Elaine said...

your interpretation is beautiful and will make a lovely gift. I am working on a 2014 Christmas gift for my kids with material I bought 2 or 3 years ago-this year I think they have a chance to get the Tardy Turtle quilt:)

Gina said...

I love that quilt and what you've done with it xx

Marei said...

I use quilt patterns the way I use recipes.....a suggested method for a finished product. More fun that way.

Millie said...

That same pattern was my jumping off point for my quilt that became "Rainbow Sunburst"

Mystic Quilter said...

Looks a great pattern and the Laurel Burch fabrics are so bright. the backing fabric is a perfect match, I love it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Taking your own path proves for much more enlightened sightseeing along the way! Thanks for taking us along...

Judy in Michigan said...

Your numbers are so neat and orderly - mine are written on the back or margins of whatever and it takes me an hour to figure out what I figured out the day before! Thanks for the lesson on organization!! Great quilt!!

Teresa said...

Love the dynamic colors in your quilt. Always funto make something "your own."

Magpie Sue said...

I am SO with you when it comes to following someone else's patterns/directions! And as you know, we have very similar taste in fabric. I have some of the very same prints I see in this quilt top. :- )