Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tie Pillow Tutorial

Oble's Tie Pillows (2006)

I've been asked several times how I made these memory pillows,
so it is high time I put together this tutorial.

* * *

A co-worker's father passed away in early 2006 and the 
children/grandchildren wanted to preserve his ties.

The woman for whom I made these purchased the pillow forms.  
I do not remember if they were 12" or 14" ~ 
but the method is the same no matter the size of the insertable pillow form.

* * *

The first step is to purchase pillow forms so you have a size to work with.

For the pillows above, I cut muslin foundation squares large enough 
to cover the top with 1/2" seam allowances added on all four sides.

I did not take the ties apart nor did I launder them.
(at the request of the family)

The ties were cut into lengths long enough to cover the muslin squares.  

The remaining shorter pieces were saved,
including the pointy ends.

I laid two tie segments on top of the muslin, side by side.

Using the 'fancy' stitches on my Bernina at their widest settings,
and stitching along the line formed by the two ties' edges,
the resulting 'seam' formed a join between the two adjacent ties 
and secured them to the foundation fabric.

I worked my way across the foundation fabric, one join at a time.
(If there were any raw edges involved, 
I made sure the next piece had a finished edge
and layered it over the raw edge before stitching.)

I've put photos of the finished pillow tops in a Picasa photo album 
so that you can see how the layouts varied from one pillow to another.  

* * *



Once the foundation squares had been covered, 
they were squared up and ready to be made into insertable covers.

* * *

In 2009, I shared a tutorial on making pillow shams here.  

You can add coordinating or contrasting flange borders to the tie pieces or not, 
depending on how you want to use/display them.  

Otherwise, the tutorial for making the back and binding 
follow the same process.

For those who want to incorporate other clothing into their memory pillows,
the back panels and/or binding could be pieced together
from taken apart shirts or pants ("made" fabric).

* * * 

Click here to see photos of what others have done with ties.
(Some people take the ties apart ~ others do not.
Some stitch with the silk alone.
Others prepare the ties with fusible tricot interfacing before cutting their pieces.)

* * *

At one point, I had grand plans to make a tie quilt ~
but the ties I gathered were given to another quilter
once I realized I was more in love with the idea than the actual process.

To those who are considering tie-related projects,
there's truly a world of possibilities out there!


Quiltdivajulie

7 comments:

Susan said...

Your tie pillows are wonderful! I have a bag of ties that belonged to my father...I should really do something with them!

Barb said...

That is awesome!!!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I have a bag of silk ties that I need to use or give away, and this tutorial may be my motivation to use them.

Magpie Sue said...

That's a great straightforward way to turn ties into something else! I rather enjoy taking them apart, at least when the fumes aren't too strong. The silks make such soft pillow tops too. :- )

quiltmom anna said...

That is a wonderful way to use those ties- thanks for the great tutorial.
Happy New Year to you and yours,
Regards,
Anna

Clare said...

Did you ever use those ties? If you want any more let me know. The car boot season starts soon and there are always loads.

Just Ducky said...

I have a gazillion ties of my Dad's, I have see round pillows done, this is the first square one. Another idea to use them up as a keepsake.

I know someone who bought really old ties at rummage sales, sewed them together, then used them to make a vest. She wore it to our grade school reunion. Some of the ties our principal used to wear.