Monday, November 28, 2011

Inspiration and Memories


Thanksgiving weekend at our house also means
getting out the Christmas holiday decorations.

One of the boxes I unpacked contained 
our Christmas mugs, including the one above.
(possibly my favorite due to the larger size, comfortable shape, 
and the combination of b&w design with the red interior)



One thing led to another and the next thing I knew,
a new kitchen table topper had been started from fabrics in the stash.
(not for this year ~ for Christmas 2012)



This little tree will spend the next several weeks in my studio.
Like my grandmother's quilt, the tree was decorated many years ago.

Unpacking boxes offers so much more than just re-discovering the contents  . . . 

Quiltdivajulie

3 comments:

Twisted Quilts said...

Oh yes unpacking boxes can be very interesting. In our recent home redo I found some lamps my uncle gave me years ago. It was a wonderful find.

Michele Bilyeu said...

One of my favorite days of the year! All of those boxes and bins contains such poignant memories. Christmas decorations the kids made 30 years ago, Christmas story books I would read to them outloud. Oops, wrong boxes! Found the right ones, got everything out and up by myself. Well, DH had to cut down a tree..but he went no farther than to support a local tree grower. It used to a 10 hr. trip to the mountains! Some change is good, and your table runner is definitely going to be a wonderful one!

quiltmom anna said...

Sometimes the memories are poignant and bittersweet and other times they make you laugh out loud. I am not sure how I will feel when we take out the ornaments this year with our son so far away. However, there is new joys to be found in other things.
Taking out the boxes does have that effect doesn't it.
Thanks for sharing your lovely cup and tree.
Regards,
Anna