Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thinking Thursday - Part Two


Google Images


 
Most of us have more ideas than we do time . . .

For me, the most nagging issue is capturing my ideas before they disappear.

* * * 

Three journal covers by Wanda and one by Mrs. Goodneedle (far right)


I keep a journal by my computer at home,
at my office desk, in the car, and in the studio
to write down those fleeting thoughts, sketch an idea,  
write down a quotation or fragment of song lyric,
or even list items for the next grocery store run.

* * * 

I also use my homegrown system of three-ring binders.

Google Images

The Gestation notebook is for items saved from many sources,
including a wide variety of magazines.
[After nearly having to move out of my studio due to saved magazines,
I started saving only the projects and articles that made me smile.
Some end up in the notebook.  Others are scanned and stored on my laptop.]

* * *

Google Images


The second notebook is named Work In Progress.
I developed my own tracking sheet using Microsoft Word 
that runs from the point of inspiration
through documentation of the finished project.

Is it overly-detailed?  Probably.
But it works well for me.


 
I also use a system of clear plastic storage boxes for pending projects – 
the ones that have moved beyond gestation but have not yet been started.

Looking back over the past couple of years, 
I can honestly say that some of the projects
pulled and put into these boxes never happened.

So why do it?

I’ve found this system allows me to work through my process
while keeping pending project items together and in plain sight.

If and when plans change, it is easy to empty that box
and re-allocate fabrics to other projects
or return them to the stash drawers.

* * *


 
The final part of my process is documenting each finished quilt.
This involves the photo shoot, sharing the quilt on my blog,
and creating an entry in my Quilt Album software.

The third notebook contains my record of 
all quilts completed during the calendar year.

* * * 

Google Images


Is all this a lot of work?  

Yes and no . . . 

Mostly I appreciate my system because 
it keeps my head from exploding
and gives me a central source for future reference.

For me, keeping the mental clutter and noise under control
makes my studio time a lot more fun.

I'm guessing the same is true for many others.

* * *

Google Images

In the end, it is all about creating space
(physical and mental)
so you can
PLAY WITH COLORS!

Have fun!

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

Diane said...

Your system is more detailed than mine, but I really appreciate yours. This year was suppose to be a year of finishing up for me (semi-successful) in order to clear out and make space-as you say mental and physical.
Having fun is what it's about, even though sometimes the work involved in the "fun" is hard.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post...I journal and some years my journal is packed full and others not so much..since I've been blogging, journaling is sometimes hit and miss...I do need one just to jot down "stuff" I want to remember when I'm on the computer.
I usually keep a plastic container near the sewing machine with the current project inside and a large basket with other works in progress on the cutting table.
Have a blessed day..
Mama Bear

Barb said...

YOu are so organized....I have in the past used scraps of paper but never can find them....smart woman!

Tamara Hampton said...

i need the journals!! like the last person scraps of paper get tossed! Like you i have my "want to make" projects in boxes, some have been abandoned, im getting to the others, but they are there in the box with my notes and ideas. Sometimes when the current project isn't inspiring me.. i pull a box out and play with a future project.

Deborah said...

That is a great system!
Deborah

Magpie Sue said...

Thanks for sharing more about your system. No doubt there's something in there that I can adapt to my own use. I reallly like the term "gestation" for the first stage of a potential new project. I have a good half dozen that have been at that point for as many years!

Hope you get to feeling better soon. And I hope it is only a seasonal cold or allergies.