Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Transitions


Transitions
(Inspired by the Layered Waves work of Karen Eckmeier
and donated to AAQI with her permission)


TRANSITION:

passage: the act of passing from one state or place to the next

conversion: an event that results in a transformation

the process or an instance of passing from one form, state, or stage to another

cause to convert or undergo a transition:
 "the company had to transition the old practices to modern technology"


~ ~ ~

We spend our entire life making transitions ~

some large, some small.



Sometimes we know it is happening.

Other times we are blissfully unaware.



This month, my Creativity Initiative inspired

Priority Quilt Transitions honors those changes.



My mother’s favorite color was blue.



One of the last fun outings

she and my sister and I took

(just before the days of assisted living and nursing home care)

was to the shore of Lake Michigan

where we rolled up the legs of our jeans

and waded in the sun-sparkled water.



She was so tiny and frail . . .

but she giggled with delight

and didn’t want to leave.



My sister and I knew it would be one of the last fun trips.

My mother was blissfully unaware.



I wonder if she remembered those sparkling waves later?

Or the laughter?

Or the love?

~ ~ ~

Another monthly auction of AAQI Priority Quilts begins tomorrow here.

If you can, I hope you’ll bid generously ~

knowing that the dollars raised go to fund essential research

into Alzheimer’s Disease.

Three research grants have been given so far ~

and, with our continued efforts, more will be possible.



It is too late for my mother and thousands of others,

but we can do something now to make it better for those

who will come after us.


One quilt at a time . . .

Quiltdivajulie

7 comments:

Clare said...

We sure do! We are just about to start the next transition. DD off to lycée tomorrow where she'll board during the week!

Lovely AAQI quilt. Hope Ami gets a lot of money for it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It's a lovely piece, my friend.

Your bittersweet memories are tangible, your sharing of them is a precious gift. Thank you.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

A wonderful quilt that shows what Alzheimer's was like for my mother. Well done.

Magpie Sue said...

I could live with this quilt. In my mind it would be "Tranquility."

I can picture so well what that day at the lake must have been like. {deep sigh}

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

CONFOUND IT! I have been to the site and cannot find this quilt anywhere. I want to bid on it! Help????

Limarea said...

Very beautiful :)

jinxxxygirl said...

I just love your quilt and the explanation behind it. So bittersweet. The colors are beautiful.