After the tricky process of winding invisible thread onto a bobbin,
I stitched this binding to the back of the placemat.
[photos will enlarge to show greater detail]
Here you can see me stitching it down on the front.
I used my Purple Thang and/or the tips of my scissors
to help hold the folded strip straight
as I worked.
The scissors worked better for me.
The Purple Thang was a bit too soft and flimsy.
This photo shows the line of invisible thread stitching
along the back. This particular binding had been cut
2-1/4" ~ for machine binding like this, I suspect
cutting the strips 2-1/2" would make things easier
and less "tight."
There's a PIF quilt waiting (Let It Be) to test this theory.
Next I used a placemat where the binding had already been stitched
to the front and tried machine stitching it to the back
with the invisible thread still in the bobbin.
Front corner finish.
Back corner finish.
This approach has definite possibilities!
Especially for utility quilts, PIF quilts, and
pillow shams, pot holders, and placemats.
Thanks for the suggestion, Hilda!
Tomorrow or the next day,
I'll show photos using the tutorial method
I found out about from Paula the Quilter.
I knew I wasn't the only one
who needed an alternative to
right-handed hand-stitched binding!
Quiltdivajulie
8 comments:
Very, very nice!! :)
Thanks for the tips! Another job well done!
I had to laugh about your "tricky process" comment. There is a reason they call it *invisible* thread. *L*
When I use it on both top and bottom, threading the machine needle is also "tricky."
I have to give the invisible thread a try. I am soooooooo terrible at sewing the binding by machine.
Thanks for the tutorial.
Nice to see "exactly" what you are doing! I have one of those purple "thangs" and put it on a string around my neck... useful, but as you say, it isn't perfect. What I'm using now are the short wooden skewers (about 6") you can buy in the grocery story in packs of 100. The wood grips the fabric and these work better than anything I've tried!
I'm so glad it is working for you. I cut all my bindings at 2" because I like narrow binding. I used to use a bamboo skewer, but then I got a metal thing--looks like a miniature ice pick, and I can't for the life of me remember what they're called. Try your zipper foot if you like the stitching right on the edge of the fold. Before using that I used to slip off the binding on occasion.
I imagine it was hard to wind a bobbin with monofilament thread! More power to you! I think it is worth a try........I may try it on one of mine in the future, too. Looks great to me!
I love this approach, I'm filing the idea away for my own future use! The place mats striking and fabulous.
Post a Comment