Monday, May 17, 2010

Magnificent!


There's a lot going on in the quilt studio, but no photos to share right now ~ so I will share three of DH's recent finishes.  This one is a hollow form turned from pink york gum burl (Australian wood).  The foot is African blackwood, the finial is ebony, and the collar is cocobolo.  This little beauty stands 6-1/2" high and measures 4" in diameter.

This hollow form was turned from a piece of wood DH found in the trash pile the last time we attended the Folk School (turned out he rescued a beautiful cherry burl). The spiral finial is a first for DH.  If you click and enlarge the photo, I hope you can see the texturing he added.  The piece measures 9-3/4" tall and measures 6-1/2" in diameter.


Originally named City in Balance, this birds-eye maple stabile has been renamed Many Eyes.  I can't even begin to explain the complexities of his multiple turning techniques ~ suffice it to say that it took him to new levels of technique!


This is the same 24" wide by 18" tall stabile, but with a darker background.  What these 'portrait' photos can't show is subtle sheen of the polished maple and the soothing movements.  I already know this much ~ when I take Many Eyes to work and set it on my desk, most people who walk by will stop and touch the flying segments to see what happens.

Quiltdivajulie

7 comments:

Barb said...

Wow...those are amazing!

Millie said...

DH's work is absolutely incredible! Just gorgeous!

Michele Bilyeu said...

It's just all extraordinary and amazing in all ways. That man needs an art show. Tell him not to give all his pieces away...unless it's to you ;) Hmm...'Turning the Wood, Turning the Quilts: Art in Process' yep, you guys need a gallery showing!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

No other word to describe these incredible pieces than your title: Magnificent!

Unknown said...

Wow, really great!

Vicki W said...

Magnificent is right!

Magpie Sue said...

I LOVE those stabiles! Wouldn't I love to be one of those lucky enough to see and touch them in person :- )