Saturday, December 19, 2009

Appalachian Bound

So what do you do when you have fabric in your stash for a project that is no longer going to happen? I used yardage and leftovers (and Mary's pattern) to make four strippy quilts for the Mountain Baby Blanket Project (logo link in my sidebar). This is No. 1.


This is No. 2 (it was damp and cold and windy, so the photo shoot was all about documenting the quilts and not so much about staging).


Here's No. 3 . . .


And this is No. 4. Chris quilted these, some of which feature her free motion swirl design (which I love for the movement and texture).


I'll get these washed and dried and packed ready to ship off on Monday. I do hope they warm four little girls' souls as well as their bodies.

Quiltdivajulie
-------------------
"Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as our next secret weapon. A happiness weapon. A beauty bomb. And every time a crisis developed, we would launch one. It would explode high in the air - explode softly - and send thousands, millions, of little parachutes into the air. Floating down to earth - boxes of Crayolas. And we wouldn't go cheap, either - not little boxes of eight. Boxes of sixty-four, with the sharpener built right in. With silver and gold and copper, magenta and peach and lime, amber and umber and all the rest. And people would smile and get a little funny look on their faces and cover the world with imagination." (Robert Fulghum)

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

They are adorable!

Barb said...

Love the all!!

Susan said...

Beautiful! I just love that quick strippy pattern!

Linda said...

They are wonderful - and will bring joy to some little girls.
Can't wait to get my new machine and get back to sewing as I have a couple more to make for Mountain Babies. After the holidays for sure!!!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Lovely! Nice idea for a way to use up that fabric that I wondered why I bought it. Thanks

*karendianne. said...

Beautiful and inspiring. I heart you.

Mary Johnson said...

They all look so sweet! I love the pieced back too. I need to pull out some fabric and whip up a few of these too.

Magpie Sue said...

I love the turquoise binding on number 2 and the piecing in number 4. And I'm completely with Robert Fulgham and his Crayola bomb!