Sunday, August 23, 2009

It Was An Adventure!

Chris and I decided at the last minute to meet at the quilt shop in Arlington Saturday morning. This was the sky overhead as I sat waiting in an old wooden rocker on the porch next door to the shop. The temperatures were cooler and the air was amazing (low humidity) ... it was a real pleasure to be outside!

I couldn't help admiring the textures on this tree ~

These pieces came home with me ~ they're for the stash. But that's not all that came home!

Background: Eldest son and wife have given me a subscription to Quiltmania for the last couple of years ~ the latest issue arrived when they were at our house and they each flipped through it to see what it was. DS stopped at this photo and exclaimed ~ what a great beach quilt! [mental note to self]

During this same visit, DS (about to turn 31) brought me his favorite pair of jeans because they had ripped and he wanted me to see if I could fix them. He also brought me a second pair of jeans so I could use the fabric to make the repair. Double click on the following photos ~ you'll see that he overestimates my powers to "fix."




Can you tell where this is going? No, I cannot "fix" his jeans ~ but I CAN use them to make him a quilt! PLEASE DON'T TELL HIM ~ IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SURPRISE!

These are the other fabrics that came home from the quilt shop today ~ I will end up re-drafting the pattern so that I don't have to cut the fabrics into a gazillion 2-1/2" squares (really don't want that many seams). My goal is to have this ready to gift at Christmas (this year, as in just over 4 months from now).

Wondrously amazing how it happens that you walk in with one idea in your head and come out with something so completely different!

It's been too long since I've had this kind of almost day-long adventure ~ Thanks, Chris ~ it was a blast!

Quiltdivajulie

6 comments:

Donna said...

looks like you were able to find some great treasures to "remind you" of the day :-) Isn't it amazing how favotrite clothing is supposed to always be magically "repairable" :-)

Anonymous said...

What a glorious day! Perfect weather, perfect fabric and perfect friendship! I tried to bail on Julie at first, I was feeling under the weather. She convinced me that I would feel better if I got out! I thought, ok, we will go for an hour....that hour turned into about 4 hours! I loved it! Thanks for the quilt rack and ALL your help with my bed quilt fabric selection!!!

quiltmom anna said...

What great fun you had Julie,
Isn't interesting how you go in thinking you will do one thing and come out with some completely different ideas.
I love your patterns and I am sure your son is going to love whatever you create for him.
Quilting field trips are always wonderful.
Thanks for sharing your quilting adventure.
Regards,
Anna

Rosalyn Manesse said...

You take such great photos. News for you folks, people are paying extra these days for new jeans that look old! they had stuff that looked like it came from the Goodwill store in Target Store for $30 today! Am working on making a blue jeans quilt myself.

Sharon said...

That cracks me up! I love when people who don't sew want you to "fix" something that isn't fixable. My DH does it all the time.

Much better idea to make your son a quilt with his jeans! He'll love it!

I started cutting up old jeans about 3 years ago, and have now forgotten what pattern I had in mind to make!

*karendianne. said...

Right on! Love hearing about the day spend with a really really good friend and the total adventure of it all. DS has a great idea there for a Beach Quilt - it is wondrous although I'm not sure I could take it out there. It's so neat! On the other hand, a Jean Quilt is way more hip! :)