Monday, August 3, 2009

Blast from the past ...

When we were moving things from room to room over the weekend, we decided to return a few extra things to our oldest son when Tippy went home. . . including his childhood "big bed" quilt. Granted, I now understand that this is a tied comforter ~ but it also qualifies as my very first patchwork piecing (which at that time I thought meant quilting).

I found an amazing product at Jo-Ann's in 1984 (he was in 1st grade then) ~ a fusible with patchwork squares that included seam/stitching lines. And I was off through my mother's scrap stash and mine.

There are fabrics from Halloween costumes, living room pillows, Christmas decorations, his baby blanket (a biscuit quilt), his brother's baby blanket (also a biscuit quilt), and so many more. I used Coats & Clarks double fold bias tape for the binding, the extra wide kind.

So now, after a trip through the washer and dryer (fluffy polyester fiberfill), the quilt has now been delivered to his house.

Oh, how far we've travelled since 1985!

Quiltdivajulie

9 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Julie! How neat. Not a Quilt? This is not a Quilt but a Comforter? Don't bother explaining it to me, my head will spin I'm sure.

That's a darn quilt to my eye. A tied quilt. A Scrappy Quilt. With a label no less. A finished quilt that allows me a little peak at the You of 1985.

It strikes me how quilts are entries into our journals. Just another expression of that which makes us desperately need to get it all out.

Nancy said...

No matter what label (quilt/comforter) you put on this blanket, it has been used, loved, and treasured. That is what counts in my opinion.

Mary said...

This is so funny. My first quilt was the same design. Probably around the same time also. I am sorry to say that it did not last as long as yours. The fabric finally starting shredding and it was relegated to the dog bed before it passed to the trash.

quiltmom anna said...

Julie, What fun to see your first project- I am sure your son treasures it - It is interesting to see the growth in one's journey as a quilter.
THe first big quilt I ever made was a quilt in a day by ELeanor Burns- or at least completed. I made two or three attempts before I ever made it from start to finish. It took me well over a year to finish and I used double poly batting in it because I wanted it pouffy. Was I crazy or what? It was queen sized and I quilted it in the ditch without a walking foot. The back is less than desirable but is hangs around our house - a little decrepit looking but I somehow can not bear to throw it away.
Hope you are having a great quilty day.
Regards,
Anna

Unknown said...

quilt schmilt. we're talking stories and memories and connections here. call it what you want, it's all pronounced the same: love.

Gari in AL said...

I thought that there were quilted quilts and tied quilts and a comforter was something that had high loft "batting" or filling like feathers/down and/or very soft poly. anyway, your quilt is great and still together. You did good, even way back then.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I never saw that one before. I love it, show it to me in person sometime!

Mary Johnson said...

Sure it's a quilt -- I loved the HeartStrings quilt we tied in Nebraska in May and we'll be doing more of them at a sew-in in Maine in September.

I bet your son was glad to get it back!

Sharon said...

Oh my! I started quilting in the early 80's, and I think I owned a piece of every fabric in your quilt! Guess there wasn't a lot of choice in cotton fabrics back then?
I love this quilt (I think it's a quilt!). It says "Love" loud and clear. And you did a great job - it's still in one piece!