
When was the last time you went to buy a pair of shoes and they actually measured your feet?
Remember the Brannock Device? My sister and I used to love going with our mom when it was time to buy shoes for the new school year ~ it was always a big deal to see whose feet had grown the most.
Why am I bringing this up?
Several months ago when I was having trouble with my knee, I commented on the great value of a good therapist. As part of the treatment, I had updated custom orthotics made ~ a positive thing.
A few weeks ago, the Morton's neuroma in my left foot started screaming ~ so my first call was to the physical therapist.
After another exam of my feet, he suggested a conservative, two step treatment (no pun intended) ~ (1) add a layer of cushioning on the left orthotic just ahead of the arch (to absorb some of the impact and to help spread out the metatarsal joints to relieve the crowding of the inflamed nerve); and (2) visit the New Balance store and ask for a neutral cushioned shoe.
When they measured my feet, it turns out that my right foot is 1/2 size larger than my left (news to me) ~ always buy your shoes to fit the larger foot. Talk about a little thing making a big difference . . . the neuroma is still there and tender, but the pain level has been reduced and I'm walking at normal speed again (in under a week!!).
It really makes me wonder why my podiatrist never suggested something so basic and sensible as measuring my feet to be sure I had the proper shoes ~ this approach is FAR less painful and expensive that the three series of schlerosing injections I've endured . . . and so, if your feet hurt and you haven't had your feet measured in years . . .
Quiltdivajulie
8 comments:
I have exactly the same issue - one foot is 1/2 size bigger than the other. I can never remember which it is, except I know the shoe that comes out of the box first will fit the smaller foot.
WOW! I actually DO remember those things, and no, I have not had mine measured. I am so glad that you got an easy resolution to your problem! Sounds alot less painful!
Many years ago I had horrible knee and ankle pain. I suffered with it for 3 years going to various orthopedics for analysis. I was told it was "in my head" by one and 2 others wanted to do exploratory surgery on my ankles. I eventuall found a doctor that had me walk barefoot down the hall and watched my stride. All I needed was proper orthotics!
You are probably not old enough to remember when you measured your feet with an x-ray machine at the shoe store. We would stand in there watching our bones move. Lots of fun.
Cool post, Julie!
They measured our feet with one of these when we rented ski boots back in February, I hadn't seen one in ages and made the very same comment!
I hated hated hated having shooes fitted at the end of the summer ready for school. Funny feet = funny shoes. Not fashionable at all!
So glad things are better!! As someone with chronic foot problems and 18 years of orthotics, I can sympathize. After my first child was born, my feet were 3 half sizes apart, but fortunately they evened out pretty well after child number 2. But as you seem to know, you can work around these problems. Glad you are on your way to less pain!
Post a Comment