Thursday, April 23, 2009

First Annual Bloggers' Quilt Festival

This is a casual photo of my favorite quilt ~ Colors of Joy ~ I've made a lot of quilts in the last few years, but this one always, always makes me smile.

Created in 2005, less than a year after I started making quilts, this scrappy batik beauty with its pieced, scrappy batik back hangs on the wall in our foyer and I can see it through the 2nd story window as I come up the driveway . . . so wonderful, especially in the wintertime when the lights are on inside the house.

Chris (my longarm quilter/quilty friend) and I took the Fickle Pickle class at our LQS in the spring of 2005. I finished my quilt, Chris quilted it on her new longarm machine, and I entered Colors in the fair that fall (2d place ribbon). Chris made parts and pieces and two completed blocks during the classes and then moved on to other projects until . . . earlier this year when she boxed up all the fabrics and pieces and parts and mailed them to me! Pass the Pickles Please is now a work in progress at my house and will become the new quilt for our king bed. Woo hoo!

These links will take you to my Picasa photo albums for Colors of Joy and Pass the Pickles Please ~ hope you enjoy! To learn more about this first ever online festival, click here.

Quiltdivajulie
--------------------------

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way... things I had no words for." (Georgia O'Keefe)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see why this quilt makes you happy...it's beautiful...great work!

*karendianne. said...

Julie, this is a stunningly beautiful piece of ART!

Quilt+Bitch said...

I love, I love! Wow, what a quilt for somebody at that having quilted only a year! Amazing!

Zonnah said...

Beautiful! I love batiks :)

Quilt Rat said...

Batiks are the absolute BEST! This is so lively and colourful, Well done!

Ginger said...

Gorgeous! I have always wanted to make a quilt like this. Yours is amazing!

Bunny said...

Your quilt is breathtaking. I just love all those bright colours too. Great job.

Martine Kuciel said...

très tonique et dynamique superbe

conny's quilts en creaties said...

This beautiful quilt makes me smile too! I love bright colors and it is a great composition of colors and figures. (I hope this is the right term for it...means somthing like patterns) happy quilting, Conny from the Netherlands (nr 500 in the contest)

Mandy said...

I love the colours in your quilt.

Cindy's Stitching said...

It does make you smile. the colors are great.

hetty said...

It makes me happy too! I love it. Well named too. It is both joyful and colourful.

Helen said...

Oh, goodness! Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. I would LOVE to make one like it.

Have fun making the next one, too!

Thank you so much for sharing your creation!

Hugs

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Love it, wonderful colors and piecing

Diana said...

I just love all those colors swirled together. Beautiful!

Clare said...

Lovely lovely batiks.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Not only does it make you smile, it does the same thing for the rest of us! Thank you for sharing the joy!

Magpie Sue said...

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get into my batik stash and finally make something (or several somethings!) out of it. It seems to be calling to me now as it hasn't done in the past.

Dionne said...

It's a beautiful quilt and you've painted a lovely picture of it hanging in your window, so inviting as you come home!
CHeers,
Dionne

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love all the movement in there - thanks for sharing :)

stitchinpenny said...

What forceful color and pattern combinations. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am so glad you picked that one! I love it! Can't wait to see version 2!

Karen said...

Just wonderful! I clicked on the album so I could see all the pictures. It was an interesting look.

jovaliquilts said...

No wonder you smile every time you see this quilt! It's just lovely.
Sorry to have been out of the loop for awhile.

SewCalGal said...

You have a great style. I love your selection of fabrics. Cheerful & comforting colors! You did a great job.

Thank you for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com