Friday, March 6, 2009

Expansion Underway . . . Being Moved . . .

The law firm where I work is expanding into the adjacent, newly-vacated office space. There will be four new offices plus hallways housing two secretarial workstations, file cabinets, and a small copier/kitchenette area once the workmen are done.

One of my attorneys is moving into larger quarters at what I call "the other end of the world" ~ our space wraps around the long exterior walls of an angular building (so that all of the attorneys end up with windows). Because he is moving, I've been asked to move as well.

This is option one - the walls will be covered with gray string cloth (like the area I work in now). . . and there will be 3-4 lateral files along the left wall with my workstation at the far end of the 9-foot wide hall (beyond the ladder). No clue who (if anyone yet) will be moving into the two offices on the right, both of which front on Poplar Avenue (busy, busy 7-lane artery).

This is the passage way in the center of the expansion space leading to option one. I've nick-named it "the narrows" ~ the floor coverings will be similar to the darkish carpeting we have in the existing office space.

And this is option two - corner area directly across from the office of one of my three attorneys. This area can become roughly 70" x 118" with or without privacy panels ~ the door to the lobby area/rest rooms is to the immediate left of the red-handled scraper.

The space planner/interior designer is supposed to present updated information on Monday ~ hopefully including layouts and furniture suggestions for these two work stations.

From a logistical point of view, I'd prefer to locate at option two (greater proximity to other co-workers, easier outside access, etc.) but option one makes FAR more sense space-wise (workspace will be at least half-again as large and the hallway is wider so it will be less congested/obstructed).

Either way, I'll have to add my own color with quilts on the wall(s) ~ tacit permission for that has already (thankfully) been granted.

Sigh . . . so which work space would you choose and why?

Quiltdivajulie
--------------------------
"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves." (Victor Frankl)

6 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

I would go with choice number two as well. I can't picture the layout exactly, but it seems closer to the action and has more room. Who wants to be stuck at the end of a hall?

*karendianne. said...

Personally, I've decided to lump you in with N,NP. When I win the Lotto - you're retiring. No discussions about it.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I couldn't bear to be isolated, I'd definitely need to be in choice #2.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I'd take a chair and sit in each of the spaces for a little while, letting that help me decide which one I could be in with the greatest sense of belonging.

Teresa said...

Hard to say which space - but I do like some privacy when I am working on a project and not have constant interruptions, so maybe I would choose #1.

The Calico Cat said...

hard to say... But my gut is saying one because this sounds too busy:
the door to the lobby area/rest rooms is to the immediate left of the red-handled scraper.

Everyone going to the potty would be stopping by - or does that just happen in my office?