Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Quick Update


Met with the ortho doc earlier today to get my 12/15 MRI results ~ learned more about the structure of the knee than anytime since 8th grade science class.

Seems that I have some cartilage loss and arthritis under the knee cap and 'bone marrow edema' (aka swelling inside the bone, images look similar to those of a stress fracture) in the tibia (clearly visible on the MRI scan, even to my eyes). No fractures, no tears . . .

So, I'm to continue wearing the brace (okay to have it off overnight or when inactive), stay on the Mobic, and go for a physical therapy evaluation next week (frequency and number of sessions to be determined). Will have a follow up appointment in six weeks to re-evaluate the situation.

Good news (no surgery and no injections for now) and reality-check type news (this aging stuff is NOT for sissies). No exercise bike for now, but I'm sure the PT folks will have some alternative suggestions.


Many thanks for the green fabric offers ~ I see a gloriously scrappy project on the horizon!

Quiltdivajulie

-----------------------------

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” (Maria Robinson)

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

No surgery is always good news! Pay attention to the PT and you'll be jogging soon! Your green squares are going in the mail tomorrow.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

As a veteran of a complete knee replacement and perhaps having arthoscopic surgery sometime soon on the other knee I know your pain. Have fun at PT!

jude said...

this aging stuff is NOT for sissies. No Kidding!!!! Take care of yourself, green, i have lots.....don;t forget that address!

Tonya Ricucci said...

cartilage loss and arthritis - eek, I got a knee like that too! glad you don't have to have surgery or anything drastic. good luck with the PT. Happy New Year!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Hang in there, yikes... I know all about the aging "benefits". Best wishes for successful PT sessions and a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are certainly with you! Hang in there!

Diane said...

I sympathize with your pain and am happy for you that surgery is not required. PT is hard work, but "no pain, no gain" as they say!

Magpie Sue said...

Holding good thoughts for PT and your knee. You are so right about aging not being for sissies!

jovaliquilts said...

Definitely hard to get old, but thank goodness you don't need surgery!
Have a wonderful New Year!