Monday, December 8, 2008

Project for 2009

What is this? It's a plastic storage box filled with twelve 1-gallon plastic bags, each containing three ties.

I've been gathering ties for a while now ~ they're taken apart but not pressed ~ and because of their so-very-unrelated natures, I've been hesitant to commit them to a quilt. Thanksgiving afternoon, our younger son helped me sort the motley assortment into batches of three (it helped having two sets of eyes as we considered texture, color, value, and overall relationship).

Why? My goal is to randomly pull a bag on the first day of each month and make a 12" quilt block using the fabric from those three ties. I haven't decided if I'll make the same block twelve times with different "looks" or whether I'll make "six and six" or twelve unique blocks. I'm considering whether using the same block will offer a sense of unity to the quilt or if I need to just let each threesome sing their own song. (I'm leaning towards individuality and diversity. . . the fact that all blocks will be made from ties may be unity enough).

During 2007 I created a journal quilt each month ~ you can see them here.

I chose not to make my small quilt-each-month during 2008 and I have missed the process. So, this time around, I'll make a block each month and decide later whether to assemble them into a wall hanging, make them into a lap quilt, or quilt and bind each one individually.

For now I'm content to have a gameplan ~ loosely organized and subject to change ~ but a plan nonetheless. Time will tell where this leads. . .

Quiltdivajulie
--------------------------
"In the measurement world, we set a goal and strive to achieve it. In the universe of possibility, we set the context and let life unfold. " (B. Zander in The Art of Possibility)

8 comments:

Donna said...

seems like a wonderful plan to me... I'd let each bag speak to you to develop the pattern -- why hem yourself in from the start...

Vicki W said...

I've been pondering doing a monthly journal quilt too. Maybe I'll join you.

Magpie Sue said...

Your book of journal quilts is fabulous. Love how you used the old worn quilt as the base for you journal quilts and love the mitten clips to create the book. Where do you find those? Does JoAnn Fabrics carry them?

I, too, am considering a monthly project for next year. Haven't entirely decided how to manifest it yet though...

Paula, the quilter said...

I participated in the 2004 Journal Quilt Project at IQF. I love the 8.5x11 inch size because it is a great (fast) way to express yourself.

Teresa said...

Sounds like a fun project. I have thought about cutting my hubby's old ties up and making a pyramid quilt out of them, but that is just another one that is on the To-do-when-I-retire List. I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Diane said...

What a wonderful way of organizing this monthy project. I think you'll find that the fabrics themselves will "tie" the quilt together. Even if color and pattern vary from block to block, their "tieness" will unify the quilt. It will be great fun to watch the development of this project.

Clare said...

If you run out of ties let me know. DH has got loads and I don't think I'll ever use them.

Browndirtcottage said...

great idea...i too have a bag full of vintage ties...uh.....whatcha gonna do with the labels.....please don't throw them away...ok...i collect labels....so, maybe we could make a little swap of some sort.....