Friday, December 26, 2008

Maybe the Last Finish in 2008?

Grains of Sand is finished ~ photos were taken last weekend during a break in our rainy weather (yes, we have leaves on the ground instead of snow...). This is the quilt that was created especially to showcase the quilting panto named Shiva & I love the results! There are so many layers of meaning in this simple quilt... You can see more photos with captions here.

I spent about 3 hours in my quilt studio Christmas afternoon ~ first time I've spent more than a few minutes (or upstairs at all) since the knee brace became a constant part of my life just after Thanksgiving (I go Tuesday the 30th to learn the results of the MRI ~ things are holding steady for now). I finished a top (50 x 65) for a very special AAQI project (will share finished photos) and did some planning for the coming year. There are 4 quilts lined up for the black and white challenge, 2 carrying over from this year (both of the slow cloth variety), and 3 others that have been on the waiting list for far too long. It felt so good to pull fabrics and write down the thoughts that have been rambling about in my head. Oh, plus the tie block of the month project that will begin in January, and my ongoing Priority Quilt efforts. I'm sure there will be more additions and departures from "the list" as the weeks come and go, but at least I have captured most of the ideas as an overall game plan.

This is a much-needed four-day weekend. I'm NOT planning to go out on Friday ~ translation, hopefully more time to sew and/or attend to details here at home. We leave our holiday decorations up until New Year's weekend (unlike many in this area who will turn off and take down after today); and with the wintery darkness, I SO appreciate the shimmering, magical white lights...

Quiltdivajulie
-------------------------
"Far from the city's dust and heat,
I get but sounds and odors sweet.
Who can wonder I love to stay,
Week after week, here hidden away,
In this sly nook that I love the best ~
This little brown house like a ground-bird's nest?"
(Ella Wheeler Wilcox)

4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

That is an amazing panto! And I like the look of color overlay on the quilt. Love the shot with the leaves on the quilt! I always admire your quilt photography.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love the pictures! The binding choice really worked! I am so glad we finally did it! I also loved the picture with the leaves on the quilt. Just great!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Stunning, you and Chris are quite a team! Your photography is just beautiful, too.

Magpie Sue said...

Okay, my comment is about the quote at the bottom of this post. I've never run across that one before but can totally identify with it. I have to copy it over somehow and maybe add it to my blog... Where are you getting your quotes from?