Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturday - one week later....


I actually did some hand stitching yesterday ~ during all of this time in the recliner, my brain finally sorted out why I've been so completely stalled on the Ice Cream Roses project. Thanks, Jude ~ your body of work has inspired and motivated me to do the soft edge applique by hand instead of with the sewing machine. I will feather the edges as I go... and I doubt seriously that the final layout will resemble what had been contemplated originally. This is the first block ~ sunning itself atop a log.
For those who have asked where DH gets the wood for his turnings ~ here are photos of the most recent additions to his stash. All but the tallest one are from a huge cherry tree. The single tall piece is holly (very rare to find one this size).

Stash acquisition note: DH and one of his woody-type friends were crawling about in a local mulch yard just before dusk (after business hours) retrieving these treasures when the local police came by, ran the plates on our car, verified ID, and waited while the guys called the owner of the yard to confirm for the police that the guys had his permission to remove the logs. You can imagine the funny versions of this story that are evolving!
To give you some idea of scale ~ Tippy (upper left corner) weighs about four pounds...

Taking it easy today ~ finally appear to be fever free ~ while you can "survive" on Gatorade for 5 days, you have very little energy or stamina...

Enjoy your weekend!

9 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Wow - I never even considered soft edge by hand... (I did those flowers by machine & loved the process! (I then quartered mine and sewed them back together - so it was not the bast for hand work. I am inspired to give it a try though. How do you stick them in place while doing the hand work? Do you remove the bulk as you go?)

jude said...

looks great. i actually think it adds an extra softness to the look of the whole thing. glad to hear you are feeling better. my son has a thing for logs....i will have to post a pic or 2.
xx

jovaliquilts said...

I love your flower. That hand stitching adds a whole new dimension to the design, really nice!

Glad you are feeling better -- what a long haul that was!

Donna said...

at least a fabric stash doesn't require a police escort!

Teresa said...

Seems to be several of the bloggers I follow that are sick these days. Hope you feel better soon.

Cher said...

nice look to the ice cream rose block

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

OK, so-- if I want to actually accomplish anything I should remove the Gatorade diet from my list of diets to try. Check. Glad you're on the mend. The ice cream roses block is lovely, the holly stump unbelievable!! Please, take good care as you recover...

Lavender Chick said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better... Take care of yourself.

Funny post about the police...

Clare said...

A friend of ours is a wood turner, but he turns platters and huge bowls http://www.le-artisan.com/. So you can imagine what his stash looks like. Not so much logs as trunks!