Thursday, January 3, 2008

2007 Journal Quilt Project

I'll start with the front cover. Last year, I began a brave adventure ~ the goal was to make one quilt a month with the background for each being a small section of the tattered quilt top that was on my mom’s bed at her house, in assisted living and, later, at the nursing home (until it became just too fragile). Originally pieced by my paternal grandmother, Elsie Lucretia Race Walton (1894-1976), the top was never used to actually make a quilt. Instead, my mother added polyester fiberfill batting and a muslin back to create a yarn tied comforter. After it was deemed too fragile for further use, my sister sent to me to see if I could “fix” it. Sadly, it was too far gone (threadbare). I have used one section to make a table runner for my sister and I have salvaged these fourteen 9” x 12” sections for my 2007 monthly journal quilts.

So, as I share each of the finished monthly quilts over the next couple of weeks, you'll be able to see that the background comes from that tattered, threadbare quilt.

One of the biggest dilemmas was how to "assemble" the 12 individual quilts plus the front and back covers into the "book" that I envisioned ~ ~ ~ I couldn't bear to put grommets into the quilts and making buttonholes wasn't practical, but my wonderful (engineer) husband thought of mitten clips! (photo pending of assembled book)!!!


And, here's a photo of the wonderful tote bag that serves as the home for my completed journal (I found it at Quilters Stitch Together). The assembled journal, turned on its side, fits perfectly into the tote bag, making it very portable and easy to store.


Tomorrow or the next day I'll add a post for the January journal quilt. And, here's my quotation for today: “But only the dance is sure! Make it your own. Who can tell What is to come of it?” (William Carlos Williams: "The Dance" in Pictures from Brueghel)

1 comment:

Donna said...

what a great foundation for your journal quilt project! I have a quilt in rough rough shape (mom was ready to send it to the burn barrel) that was pieced by my paternal grandmother... maybe I could do something similar....