Wednesday, July 8, 2026

Relocation-Reassignment Complete


It all started while Lynne was clearing out her studio before the new flooring arrived.

She asked if I wanted the extra blocks from Field of Dreams and I said yes, knowing I had a plan for them.


Last night I pulled some fabrics from the stash and retrieved six of the liberated bird blocks Lynne sent after she finished her Green Bird Quilt.

I'll use the blocks from Field of Dreams to piece six slabs for placemat tops.

I'll use the array of greens from my stash to create strip pieced slabs that will include the birds for the reverse side of the placemats.  


In the box with the green blocks were these extra HSTs from her quilt named Amethyst.


I'll piece them into an insert for this backing for a scrappy quilt that is still in the gathering stage.


I've been stashing leftover blocks and bindings in this project box for another quilt top in the same style as Esperance.  

The leftover tumbler blocks from Lynne's Easter Basket quilt will be worked into this top when the time comes.

And so will the stack of leftover rail fence segments from Rainbow Crush.


My stashed yardage above has been set aside for yet another future scrappy lower volume quilt top.  

Lynne started piecing slabs using her pastels but then lost interest in the project.  I'll use the slabs as part of the backing for my quilt when the time comes.

* * *

One quilter's excess is another quilter's bounty.  Thanks, Lynne.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up."
Mark Twain

11 comments:

Millie said...

You are most welcome. You and I have exchanged fabrics, scraps, and finished quilts. Wonderful all!

Julierose said...

How wonderful to be using Millie's leftover pieces ;))) Like memory pieces for you of her...hugs, Juierose

Kathy S. said...

Can't wait to see where those birds land. I LOVE that bird pattern. It brings back warm, fuzzy feelings from The Block Lotto.

Cherie Moore said...

That is so true! Have loved thequilts that have evolved from your exchanges 😃.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That looks like a lot of fun ahead.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Isn't it great to get leftovers as seeds for projects? Especially such wonderful fabrics. I can tell you are having fun!

Juliann said...

This makes me think of a fun group challenge, exchanging some leftovers and seeing what we might create. Those birds are so fun.

Charlotta said...

I love the idea and practice of reassignment/relocation of quilt pieces and/or fabric. Gwen Marston saved fabric scraps which had been pieced but somehow were not used as and referred to them as the “parts department.” She could then always look later for useful material in the “parts department,” or occasionally build an entire quilt from it. I have adopted her practice and never discard a piece once sewn.

Barbara Anne said...

Oh, YUM! Top to bottom. your photos and plans are delicious!!

Hugs!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Have fun with those lovely Lynne leftovers, Julie!!

Nann said...

What a treat! You'll cook Lynne's ingredients into delicious new quilts.