Behind the scenes during the last two weeks I have been taking care of lots of odds and ends around the house. In the studio my first finish was February's patiently waiting utility mats. I have had this Yuwa reproduction print in my stash since 2014 when I worked for the original owners of Delta Patchwork after retiring from the law firm. (And your eyes are not deceiving you -- the cedar chest runner is a darker version of the print than the table and fireplace mats.)
Quilted with my beloved liberated all over spiral fans using Glide thread in Pink (top and bobbin). But since Valentine's Day 2022 was in the rear view mirror by the time these were fully finished, they won't see any February action until 2023. But wait . . . .
This set is fully reversible and the single backing fabric is perfect for our decor during the month of June which means the back side will be used this year after all.
I can't tell you how good it feels to put one set away and have the next set ready and waiting on the shelf - it was a time consuming 2021 project that spilled over into 2022 but I'm so glad I finished the whole series.
* * *
In other studio news, I've been winding bobbins, sorting bent from still-straight pins, folding and putting away a variety of yardage that mysteriously "fell" off the shelves, and most importantly sorting out and rearranging my post-Camp Sefton priorities (thank you, Little Man - you have no idea how much you have affected my thinking).
Over the next few posts I will share some of these "revelations" and decisions about pending fabric pulls and projects. It's all good and I feel much lighter/happier after reorganizing my thinking.
Oh, and if you'd like to see DH's latest woodturning finish, click HERE.
Quiltdivajulie
------------------------------------------
“It’s not sometimes realistic to think that something magical can happen, but I think I look for the magic.”
Sherilyn Fenn
8 comments:
Julie, your mats look wonderful. Such pretty colors. That quilting designs is also so pretty.
Yeah for getting your runners and mats done before Valentines Day, you are ready for 2023. I'm working on Christmas Quilts so I'm ahead of schedule too. Stopped over to see DH's woodturning, it is stunning!!
Nothing like quilting from the perspective of a five-year-old to change your list of priorities, Julie! I'm interested to see what projects made the cut. I suspect lots of quilting FUN is in your near future!!
I can't believe what your husband can do with wood- almost like it is liquid. I guess I need to make a decision to clean up and reorganize. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
I'm intrigued to find out how your quilting adventures with Little Man have changed your outlook and future projects. I definitely need a reboot, alas, all my 9 grandchildren live over a 1,500 miles away.
Pat
Very pretty table mats! Your freehand fans look so professional; you've really got it down, and it's such a great design. If you ever wanted to do a video on your technique, I'd be thrilled to watch it! :)
Checked out your hubby's art. AMAZING!!!!! Had no idea one could do that with wood. What's it like with 2 artists in the same house! Thanks for sharing that link.
Cindy - you are a no-reply blogger so I will respond to your question here. With two artists (actually three since younger son does art and poetry), there is no commercial art anywhere (lots of books but no paintings and such). My quilts and his wood fill our space with makers' joy.
Post a Comment