Let's begin this wrap up with Isabela, the quilt named after this character from Encanto whose "gift" is to make flowers bloom.
This is the front of the finished quilt.
61" wide x 73" long
Liberated free motion all-over spiral fans using Glide thread in Rose Pink (top) and Pink (bobbin).
This is the back. The green sections were added because I typically purchase four yards for backing (based on quilts 48" x 60") but that was not enough yardage for this larger quilt.
Backing - Rainbow Flight/Hello Angel licensed to Wilmington Prints plus green "Marbella" from "Piece and Joy" line by Paula Nadlestern for Benartex.
Binding - Sangria stripes in pink by Marisol Ortega for Figo Fabrics.
The second quilt was named Mirabel for this character from the Encanto movie. Mirabel's "gift" turned out to be the restoration of "the magic" to La Familia Madrigal (the Family Madrigal).
This is the front of the quilt.
55" wide x 72" long
Liberated free motion all-over spiral fans using Glide thread in Graphite (top) and Sky (bobbin).
This is the back, again with additional fabric from a Dan Morris print for QT Fabrics to accommodate the larger size quilt.
Backing - A Bird in Hand by Laura Heine for Free Spirit
Binding - More of the Sangria stripes in pink used for Isabela.
Now, about my take-aways from our nineteen day quilt making adventure.
I'm going to make myself a sign listing what I call Little Man's Studio Rules and put it on the magnetic board in front of my sewing machine AND somewhere obvious in my design studio.
1. Worry less and PLAY more.
2. Scraps are super fun.
3. Laugh more, plan less, and HAVE FUN.
4. Enjoy the journey, including the detours.
To these I will add one more:
5. Stop "stirring" and MAKE
I cannot remember when I have felt so much pure joy in the studio!
* * *
Both quilts were presented to Mommy and Daddy with much flourish and excitement on Sunday Feb. 13. They were indeed surprised.
One quilt is being used their living room and the other is laid atop the duvet on their bed.
And on Sunday Feb. 20 I was able to give them their copy of a Shutterfly book I put together documenting Little Man's Camp Sefton quilt-making adventure using lots (!) of photos and words. (I ordered a second copy of the book for myself so I can recapture the magic if I ever feel it slipping away)
* * *
I have enjoyed reading the many, many comments on these six posts. Thank you for taking the time to leave them.
To those who do not yet have grandchildren, don't give up hope. We spent ten years being told "no children" only to be happily surprised with our one and only Little Man.
And to those who have mentioned using some of these ideas with your own children/grandchildren, I hope you have as much fun as we did.
p.s. If you look closely enough, you will find a butterfly in each of the two quilt tops. For those who have watched Encanto, you will understand why. (Here's a link to the official trailer for the movie.)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“One thing I’ve learned in my brief career: It’s the side projects that really take off. By side projects I mean the stuff that you thought was just messing around. Stuff that’s just play. That’s actually the good stuff. That’s when the magic happens.”
Austin Kleon
25 comments:
Talk about pure joy!! How wonderful was your journey...;)))
Great take away "rules" ;))) hugs, Julierose
Such a joy to read today! Sunshine on an icy day and foreboding news. Great idea to make that photo book. The quilting looked terrific on both quilts. Love all the colors and arrangements. Great quilting room rules.
Sigh. Oh that was a fun ride! These were transformative days. We all should be mindful of Little Man’s sewing room “rules”. They will all treasure the book you have put together. You undoubtedly captured a lot of joy in those pages. This story was a gift to us all. Thank you!
I have read your journey with great joy myself! I have had small snippets of this (a couple of hours) with each of my grandkids when they were Little Man's age, so I know the joy involved...I may have burst if it went on for days! Such sweet memories you have, wallow in them!
I can only imagine Little Man's pride, excitement and delight when he presented these beautiful, surprise quilts to his parents, Julie! And I love the rules he suggested for the studio. What a wise fellow Little Man is! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful six part series with us!
Your adventure with your grandson provided great joy to me too!! I am looking forward to a quilting project with one of my grandchildren soon!! Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing your journey.
I totally enjoyed you journey, thank you for sharing.
Just a wonderful experience for Little Man, You, DaDa, and us. Thank you for sharing and making our hearts 2 times larger today.
What a great adventure with Little Man! Thanks for sharing it!
This has been an enchanting story to read! Your joy in this experience shines though each blog post. Great idea to create a book to capture the moments and relive the joy!
What a marvelous, grand adventure. And such wonderful memories made together! Thank you SO much for sharing with us.
Spontaneous fun with little man with all of the extra days he stayed with you! What a great time to look back on. I bet he will be looking at the book at his house often too.
I have loved reading all your posts about your exciting sewing journey with your delightful grandson. He’s a real charmer. Great idea to capture that journey in a book - glad you have ordered one for yourself too. A great memory for you and the Little Man because he will be a big man before you know it!
Thanks for sharing the magic! I have enjoyed hearing your Camp Sefton stories, and even got motivated to watch "Encanto". Little Man's Studio Rules ring true, so I'll remind myself to follow them on a regular basis. And thanks for the "don't give up hope" pep talk, too. Have a lovely weekend!
That's awesome that you made a photo book to capture these memories with your Little Man! It has been a pleasure to read through your Adventure In Quilting with him. Such a joy for you both!
What beautiful finished quilts, and a happy ending to the story. Little Man has the makings of a real artist. I have really loved this whole story!
Both WONDERFUL WONDERFUL quilts. I'm sure you agree. They would be my most prized quilts ever!
I'm impressed how relatively quickly you quilted them.
Both quilts turned out beautifully, Julie. LOVE that closing photo of Little Man and the measuring tape!! Regarding his studio rules, I already live by much the same rules in my own studio. He's one smart cookie, that grandson of yours, and the photo book(s) about your quilting adventures with him was a brilliant idea, too!! :o))
What an absolute delight. "Stop stirring and MAKE!" is terrific advice. Thanks for sharing Camp Sefton 2022 with us!
Thank you for taking us along on your grand adventure with Little Man at Camp Sefton. I wonder what new quilts he will design. To see his joy and enthusiasm is uplifting.
Pat
Now I know what the pot of gold looks like at the end of a rainbow.
I liked the moral of the story too.
And I loved seeing the look of pride and joy as Little Man (also pride and joy) played along.
Little Man will tell stories about this time with you for years to come. You couldn't have given him a better gift.
Julie, thank you for sharing these past posts with us, what a joy to read and to see your photographs. Treasured memories in abundance and such a good idea to document his stay in a book. I love the two quilts!!
I've really enjoyed these posts and seeing where your Little Man's creativity lead you both. How wonderful to have such an enthusiastic inspirator. And to have the two quilts completed and in use. Imagine how he must feel every time he sees those in his home! Wonderful documentation too and a great idea to make the book.
This was the BEST series! Love it so much.:) Thanks for taking the time to share this super sweet adventure!
Post a Comment