On Friday 2/5 while Little Man was home from school (too much ice and too many power outages across the city), it was time to pin baste the quilt sandwich for his second quilt named Mirabel.
This time he knew just what to do and did a good job of helping pin and add the Pinmoors.
When we talked about thread for quilting, he quickly told me "I want blue thread this time."
This is the color he chose for the bobbins (from the three blues I offered).
And this is the color he chose for the quilt top (again from three blues I pulled out).
Both of us were happy with the selections.
On Monday 2/7 I started quilting while he was at school.
Tuesday morning 2/8 before school we visited the studio so he (and his dog's favorite toy "Lion") could check to see "how the quilt was coming along."
His smile says it all.
Mommy and Daddy came to get Little Man after dinner Tuesday evening but he made me promise to "finish the rest of our secret project" after he went home.
And I did.
After finishing the FMQ, Mirabel was tamed.
Little Man had already decided he wanted me to use the same binding for both quilts and we had cut the WOF strips in preparation so I was cleared to move forward with the binding process.
Mirabel was finished Wednesday 2/9.
Isabela and Mirabel, the quilts, were photographed and documented and prepared for Little Man's gifting to Mommy and Daddy on Sunday 2/13.
* * *
I'll be back on Friday with Part 6 (of 6) including photos of the finished quilts and some of my thoughts from this amazing nineteen day adventure.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“When you’re touched by magic, nothing’s ever quite the same again. What really makes me sad is all those people who never have the chance to know that touch. They’re too busy, or they just don’t hold with make-believe, so they shut the door without really knowing it was there to be opened in the first place.”
Charles de Lint
14 comments:
I love the shot of him pin basting!! What a charming fellow he is!! Terrific journey you had with him--hugs, Julierose
This has been the BEST story!! I have loved watching you and your grandson create together. He is such a lucky fellow. This looks like one of those life-changing experiences to me for him (and for you!). I wonder what this will mean for him for the rest of his life, because I am positive that this has changed his life trajectory in some wonderful way.
I think there will be lots of warm and colorful cuddling going on at Little Man's house! What a fun experience for the two of you!
Such a fun story! Love all the colors. The binding is perfect. Sky and Graphite are two of my favorites to use.
Wonderful memories for all of you and the quilts a physical manifestation of that.:) Love his proud smile!
This is such a sweet story. I love how he is so clear about his art. Can't wait for the last installment!
Thank you so much for sharing this story with us! It is absolutely delightful in so many ways. You told it so well in words and pictures. Looking forward to Friday’s posting!
19 days, but this is going to be the love of a lifetime. I know we have to wait, but I really want to see a video when the gifts are opened. Little Man, you are a treasure, and so capable in all the aspects making a quilt. Love your choices, and so glad there was a Snow Day so you had more time to take part in this wonderful quilting adventure.
Loving this story - you 2 should have more quilting adventures together :)
I think he definitely has an artist's eye, which you are really helping him develop! Both quilts are gorgeous.
This so heart-warming to read on a day when the rest of the world seems to be coming apart at the seams.
Pat
Looking forward to the post about the BIG reveal. What a wonderful experience for the designer (and his assistant!!)
aweeeeeeee
he makes fine choices and the pic of his little hands... priceless
that is quite a skilled quilt designer you have there!
Post a Comment