Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Ludic - the Layout



LUDIC - "playful in an aimless way"

In July of 2020, I die cut enough HSTs

Ludic is one of them.

I've been leader-ender-ing these HSTs for a long time
so it felt really good to actually get them on the design wall.




My original plan for these was similar to Poppyseed's quilt.

But then Cathy shared a recent quilt top finish and . . . 




I quickly counted my pink, aqua, and green HSTS
(all paired with a variety of grays)
then pulled out graph paper and color pencils
to create a sketch for my 3" finished blocks.

YES -  exactly enough HSTs for this layout!




I had a few leftovers but two of the colors used
each and every one of their HSTs.

I could not have planned it more accurately.

Next step will be to clip these so I can web the top together.




Which brings me to an earlier quilt top 
made using the same layout - Plenty of Plaids.

 I've always liked Plenty of Plaids but
I absolutely love the energy of Ludic so . . . 

Plenty of Plaids is on its way to Linda S.
so it can become a comfort quilt. 



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The whole world is gray, and if you just appreciate that, if you just understand and appreciate it, then it’s beautiful.”
Hank Green

14 comments:

ButterZ said...

Brilliant. It was meant to be.

Julierose said...

Love this layout--very pretty..nice work hugs, Julierose

Sally Langston Warren said...

This is beautiful! Once again, too many squirrels here.....trying to follow each one. Rarely can I make a quick visit to your blog. I always come away with inspiration and ideas. Thank you!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fun new quilt, Julie, and a very sweet donation to Linda's Comfort Quilt project. I'm sure she will appreciate the assistance!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ludic is FANTASTIC!!!!! and of course - Plenty of Plaids - I love it!!! It will definitely bring someone comfort!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I can always count on you to give me refreshing inspiration eye candy. This quilt is right on target. So glad to see its coming to life.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love your names for your quilts almost as much as the quilts themselves! Gorgeous!

audrey said...

Love it when all the pieces of an idea come together so well! This is a lovely quilt and will make an awesome comfort quilt with the spunky, happy colors.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Such a fantastic design !! I hopped over to your HST page and enjoyed reading about all your quilts and of course the list of names you've chosen for the various quilts.

Dorothy said...

1st glimpse was WOW !!!! 2nd look at finish is even more WOW !! You never cease to amaze me and push me forward. Thank you

Cathy said...

I think that is my fav so far of all your HST quilts! And how nice that you passed on Plenty of Plaids.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

These offset zig zags remind me of something... can't quite figure it out. It will dawn on me later. I love this setting, both Ludic and P-of-P are colorful and vibrant feel-good quilts! You have a knack. Well done!

QuiltGranma said...

that zig zag reminds me of our current economy. Sorry.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a great quilt! Just perfect. Thanks for sharing