Friday, April 10, 2020

Fauve - the Flimsy



These pieces and parts were sewn together

Once home, I just couldn't decide how best 
to turn them into a functional and fun quilt top.

So into a project box they went - until now.

(you can read the earlier posts for Fauve
by clicking on the label at the end of this post)




All along, I've envisioned these as some sort of coins quilt.

Each column is a slightly different width
so it wasn't going to be easy to shift excess 
from one to another that was shorter.

After a long day of pondering, experimenting, 
unstitching and re-stitching sections,
and generally annoying my housemates . . . 




The vertical orientation became  horizontal.

Each row was shortened to 40 inches.

The cut offs were pieced together to make additional rows.

Strips from a well-aged black-on-black were cut
for a narrow stop border and yardage from the stash 
was chosen for the outer borders.

And then the sewing together process began.




Introducing FAUVE.

 ("vivid in color")

51" wide by 63" long




In the grand tradition of Gwen Marston's 'floor quilts'
Fauve includes leftovers from my teaching samples
as well as trimmings from demo strata.




I hope you can see why I couldn't just toss these scraps.

A couple of the light blue pieces 
include their printed selvage edges,
one with a date of 2002 which was 
2 years before I started making quilts.

(I found it on the sale rack in a local shop
from a previous year's Hancock Fabrics line 
for their annual quilt making fundraiser
in support of St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital;
and I used it in my very first comfort quilt)




I have to say that I'm pretty pleased
 with this uber-scrappy quilt top.

Maybe even a little more than pretty pleased.

And since every quilt top needs a backing . . . 




During that same week at JCCFS
DH and I took my class on an evening field trip
to the local quilt shop where I bought 2 yards
of this Ghastlies print - the colors were just 
too perfect for my scraps in the classroom.

But two yards is NOT enough for a quilt backing
so I shopped the stash and found an ancient
golden tweedy print and the last of an
Effervescent print from a previous quilt backing.




I deliberately reversed the direction of the ladies
since I want this to be a non-directional quilt.




And when the time comes,
I'll used this thread to quilt Fauve.

* * *

Sharing this post with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.
(even though it wasn't one of my named RSC projects)

The others are linking up here this week.





Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least somebody's listening.”
Franklin P. Jones

17 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Well, first up I did smile at the quote! And I do love how you have used your teaching samples in this, such a visual delight!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for sharing another scraps to quilt top process photo, Julie. Happy quilting!

Julierose said...

Beautiful scrappy quilt--I can definitely see how you couldn't toss those scrappy bits...nice work--and i love that ghastlie print ;)))
Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am stunned how you took the pieces in the first photo and made such a wondeful quilt. Wow. It is amazing. I love Military God and use it alot. My other favorites are Mocha, Mercury, and Celery.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I also use Military Gold a LOT; I love it. This has great visual impact, Julie, when I see this final arrangement it reminds me of looking at a mountain village, in spring, through a fractured lens. It's very, very nice!

MissPat said...

This is awesome. I need to try this concept. And I have lots of strips of fabric with which to play. Happy Easter. It's snowing here and sticking which makes it hard to get in the mood for spring.
Pat

LA Paylor said...

talking to yourself, also you know you are intelligent, and funny.
This is a great finish, so much movement, and it was good to read about your process in making it.

gayle said...

Oh, nicely done! You're right to be more than pretty pleased!
(I just bought some gold colored thread to quilt my temperature quilt - looks like I chose well!)

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh I do love this quilt top Julie, the design and the colour, so glad you did hang on to those scraps! The fantastical ladies in the backing are delightful. Congratulations on another
awesome quilt top finish!

cspoonquilt said...

Wonderful scrappy play of colors and I like the way you resolved the final layout!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so much fun! I'm glad you turned your columns horizontally, too. The backing coukdn't be more perfect!

Ann said...

A good example of using all the parts. Lovely. Thanks for sharing your process - front and back.

Magpie Sue said...

Wonderful! It feels so good when things finally fall into place. There are so many wonderful prints available these days but so many of them are directional like the Ghastlies and then you have to go to extra effort to either keep them all going the same way or make sure they're all going in opposite directions!

Janie said...

I enjoy your mixing and arranging, not letting any one print dominate, but pushing them into a delightful mash that turns into a unique design statement. So fun, I'm sure Gwen would've loved it.

Susie H said...

I LOVE IT! Bright, bold, beautiful. Great job! Thanks for sharing this beautiful work of works!

Kaja said...

Isn't it funny how our preconceptions can get in the way of progress? I think you came up with a fabulous quilt in the end - vibrant and full of energy. I really love it.

Cathy said...

Oh, I really like the final layout for all those bits and pieces. I can definitely see why you could not toss any of those scraps and you have a right to be more than pretty pleased! Fauve...a fav!