The blocks for Dumpster Diving 8 - Bella
are finally ready for construction to begin.
(Bella because I'm using Moda Bella solids)
Based on the design I finalized last December,
I'll need a total of 64 blocks.
(that's a LOT of short pieces sewn together)
The box above holds each block's
freshly pressed strips sorted onto plates.
These 26 will each have a solid center string
with 14 being trimmed for Block A
and 12 becoming Block B.
There's another box like this still in the closet --
those sets of strips will become
38 blocks without solid center strings.
Eighteen of those will become Block A
and 20 will become Block B.
Here are the first five blocks after trimming,
2 with center strings and 3 without.
The top row is Block A
and the lower row is Block B.
These are the next two slabs with center strings.
I plan to piece and press all of the slabs
with center strings before I do any trimming
for the 6.5" x 8.5" rectangles.
Then I'll repeat the process
with the sets in that second waiting box.
(earlier posts for this project are
in case you need a refresher)
* * *
Like so many others,
I'm finding my focus and attention span
are shorter than I'd like.
As a way to cope,
I'm working to make some decisions
on long-pending projects
that have wandered from Option A
all the way to Option Z and back again.
I'm also trying to cut out the needed parts
from the various fabric pulls
(editing as needed based on final decision)
before I feel inclined to change my mind yet again.
I'm truly not worried about perfection at this point.
I want/need to make choices
on things where I do have control.
Pretty sure I'm not alone on this.
And as I stitch the DD-8 slabs together
I'll use these leftover strips*
as leader enders for one or more
RSC / Meals on Wheels placemats.
*leftover from Luminous
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Diplomacy is listening to what the other guy needs. Preserving your own position; but listening to the other guy. You have to develop relationships with other people so when the tough times come, you can work together.”
Colin Powell





11 comments:
These are simply gorgeous--love how those slabs are looking..you do come up with amazing projects...your DD's are my all-time favorites of your quilts...
and you are so organized--I like the plate idea..have fun and enjoy the process
~ ~ ~ waving to you from rainswept CT Julierose ;)))
Amazing scrappy blocks! I admire your organization.... I probably say that every time I leave a comment :)
Lookin' good!
These are vibrant and cheerful-- just what we need to be focusing on right now. :)
I love your blocks, what a great scrappy project. I too have been less focused and feel like I should be getting more finished these days. I'm glad that I have sewing projects to work on. Not sure what people do that don't have hobbies. :)
yes, you're not alone in the focus issues. It's the uncertainty that derails us. And lack of security. But you're an inspiration, with your ongoing colors and fab quotes. I miss seeing Colin Powell.
Bella Solids are SEW yummy!! I'm looking forward to seeing what twists and turns this quilt takes on its path to completion.
I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who's having a hard time being creative/productive right now. I'm surprised that this is affecting me when I'm home, basically alone, all the time anyway. But it is. I guess disruption from normal is enough to rock anyone's boat.
Great progress. I enjoyed the photos of the quilts in the show, talk about inspiration!
And your March calendar reminds me it's time for my April color calendar post.
I like how this is developing! I think you're right about the need to make decisions now. I find that mindless sewing is not very satisfying and doesn't hold my attention. As you said, we need to be able to take control where we can, and our quilty decisions are certainly within our control.
Julie I think lots of us agree with you on your trouble focusing and your attention span, I know I certainly have the same issue presently. Started Wintersweet without a definite plan and just going with two piles of fabrics, I should have headed for my my larger pieces in their colour boxes. You're definitely organized with your present project!
Post a Comment