I shared these hand-pieced blocks with you
a couple of posts back.
I needed the design wall space
so I pulled older fabrics to go with them
and tucked things into a project box.
I'll sash the blocks with these double pink prints.
I haven't decided on cornerstones yet
but I might use the fabric
on the left in the next photo.
I'll use these two fabrics for the backing.
The green came from Wanda's stash a couple of years ago.
The brown gingham with flowers came from
one of the vendor tables last weekend.
This was another set of hand-pieced blocks
that were rescued from a vendor's table
for $5.00 last weekend.
They were very dirty so I soaked them in Orvus soap
and let them dry flat between layers of towels
after I took this photo.
The blocks will need a good pressing
and some squaring up
before anything else can happen.
At this point I'm thinking I'll use this
soft yellow older print fabric
for the backing.
I may change my mind once the blocks
are sewn together - but this is the best option
of the older fabrics on hand right now.
You can see more of my previous
rescue quilt projects HERE.
* * *
I don't plan to work with these
until some time next year,
so I've made lots of notes and
put them in the respective file folders.
All in good time.
Quiltdivajulie





13 comments:
Love that double pink sashing for the first one. Wow, I can't believe you got all those blocks for just $5.
I love those double pinks!!! Where do you get them? They are sometimes hard to find. They will look great with those rolling stone blocks.
Beauties, one and all! What is it about old quilts and blocks that just beg to be finished? When there's a pile of my own "old blocks" just waiting their turn, too.
looking at the rescued blocks took me back to childhood. My granny hand pieced. She sometimes made special quilts with bought fabric but usually it was old clothes and the blocks were so interesting to a young girl. None of the colors went together but all together they worked. I was given squares to put together on the treadle machine. I was tall so pushing the treadle was easy enough, and I developed the love of fabrics, and how they looked next to each other, why I can just feel them now thinking about it. I have one of granny's tops I quilted myself, and one still unquilted. It was made with bought fabric for me as a toddler, all one-lavender and muslin and is not as cool as her mix of hand pieced old clothes quilts, but it was made special for me.
Oh, I love both sets of blocks!
Those first set of blocks (rolling stone?) are so graphic, at first glance I thought they were modern! really great! And the churn dash blocks are very cool too! I visited your post on previous vintage quilt projects also very impressive! I love to rescue vintage blocks and tops too. It's so much fun to study the fabric and try to figure out how to conserve them. cheers!
Julie, in awe of your restorations. I love those Broken Wheel blocks. You are always my inspiration, so thank you for taking the time and effort to share.
Happy Dayyyyyy! So relieved to see them made into something beautiful! Great job!
Such wonderful blocks. The churn dash blocks are so charming. It looks like their creator cut any which way she had to in order to get the pieces out of the fabric she had. I'm so glad you rescued them and they will become a quilt. I love the backing you've chosen for both quilts, too.
I like your thinking.
How clever of you to get this all laid out... even if you change your mind. But I think this one will work.
New life for old treasures; these blocks just shine and couldn't have found a better home.
Wouldn't it be good to know the story behind these blocks bought from the vendor table, what a deal for $5!
Post a Comment