Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Eira



This was my third iteration of a fabric pull
for my Snowflake quilt . . . 

(quilt top fabrics on the left, 
backing fabrics on the right)




After seeing several versions of this quilt on IG
I decided to give it a go and make one of my own.

I resized mine slightly so it wasn't quite so large.




After cutting all of the background squares
along with the white-with-color-spots for the snowflake,
I realized I did NOT like my choice of snowflake fabric.

(see lower edge of fabric stack on the left above)

I returned to the stash and selected this long-aged batik.

Since I planned for this to be 
a December and January couch quilt the
not-quite-true-but-closely-related-to-red was perfect.




Rather than use the pattern's and QAL's block assembly,
I chose to lay out my scrappy version on the design wall.

Since I did start far enough to the left 
 I ran out of space for the final four columns.




No worries - I stacked and clipped 
the first thirteen and then laid out the final four.




Amazing that a full size quilt top lies in these small stacks.

I've named my quilt-in-making EIRA
which is Welsh for "snow."



Sewing . . . sewing . . . 


. . . and then all 22 rows were sewn.

Next up will be pressing the seams
and then sewing the rows together.

After this long Thanksgiving weekend
and our annual "decorating for Christmas,"
I'll be back to share Eira's completed top and pieced back.


* * *




Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” 
Gilbert C. Chesterton

11 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wise choice for the snowflake substitution, Julie!! I think that original option is a great fabric... just not for THIS quilt.

Robin said...

This is great! And so perfect for my day with the snow coming down in big fluffy flakes. I really like the red.

Linda Swanekamp said...

GK Chesteron is one of my favorites! Love the snowflakes with all the squares, gives me pause to think what I could do. Love the background squares effect. Great fabric choice.

Mystic Quilter said...

Your 'long-aged batik' is such a lovely rich red, I look forward to see a finished top!

Pamela Arbour said...

Love your fabric choices but I do have to say that you have my curiosity to know what your first snowflake fabric choice would have looked like. LOL Maybe you could make another one with a more "winter" feel with a different background and your first snowflake fabric? Looking forward to seeing your finish.

Gale Bulkley said...

This construction method is fascinating. Does it get awkward to work with as it grows? You know, before the rows (or columns) are sewn together?

Paulette said...

Love your fabric choices. What a pretty quilt in those colors! The genealogist (and Welsh ancestry) in me is curious how you landed on the name? :)

Jennifer said...

i like your fabric choices! i've seen this quilt all over IG, too, and plan on making one as well. not sure when... so: you drafted your own pattern? brave you! how big are your squares? soemhow i always miss the QALs... but i'm probably too busy to keep up anyway...

Amandine said...

wow ! what an amazing technique, he row are seems together before to be sew ? I don"t realize how youdow, but I'll really love to learn !
have a nice SUNDAY !

Kaja said...

That red was a great choice. I have known several people called Eira over the years (and yes, they were all Welsh).

Ann said...

Red is much better for this quilt. I've seen this design recently. Yours will make a lovely throw and this is the season for it.