Thursday, October 31, 2019

Holiday Planning



It was time to deal with it . . .




I sorted through the Christmas stash
to clear off the shelf it has occupied
for the past couple of years.




Some of the pieces have already found new homes
while others have been designated as backings.

And then there is the rest . . .




STEP ONE

Feliz Navidad has spent a year
waiting to be sewn together.

I have been stalled because I didn't like
the scrappy conglomeration I had pulled
to use for the back of the quilt.

THAT has now changed.

The still-scrappy back will involve some piecing
but it will not be as scrappy as before.

Goal:  To complete this for use in December.



STEP TWO

Merry and Bright has been planned for over a year.

Intended to be a  table topper for our kitchen,
the design has changed so many times it is ridiculous.

Final decision?

M and B will be a sixteen block zig zag
measuring 64" x 64" - 
the sets of strips are cut and ready to pair,
sew, assemble, and finish
in time to use in December.



STEP THREE

Sleigh Bells will be a simple-to-sew-top 
based on  pairs of Moda Bella red and scrappy greens.

Rectangles were cut at 4.5" x 6.5"

Backing fabrics are chosen and waiting.

Target finish - 2020



STEP FOUR

Jingle Bells will feature die cut 6" HSTs.

The neutrals are ready to run through the die cutter.

The scrappy reds and greens need a good pressing
and then they, too, can be die cut.

Backing is chosen and waiting.

Target finish - 2020



STEP FIVE

And then there is Deck the Halls.

This was going to be a log cabin 
made with 2.5" strips.

But I changed my mind.

Instead it will feature 
scrappy red snowballs
and scrappy green nine patches
with a multitude of light neutrals.

Backing is chosen and waiting.

Target finish - 2020 




These are the five project boxes
and the five file folders with design notes, etc.

It feels good to have these sorted out.

And with the pieces counted and cut, 
I'll be far less tempted to waste any more time
changing my mind about possible designs.

AND that shelf is nearly empty now.


* * *


This week has been take-in and set up for this year's
Davies Manor Quilt and Fiber Art Show.

The show runs Friday - Saturday - Sunday from 10A to 4P.

If you are in the Memphis metro area,
come see us!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“It is a happiness to wonder; it is a happiness to dream.”

Edgar Allen Poe

11 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I am confident that you will get all of these completed on schedule. Thanks for sharing your some of your planning strategy. I am confident that is the only way to get these project moved on to completion (and still have time to chase a squirrel or two!) I use those same containers for my projects. They are perfect. I refuse to count how many of them I actually own! LOL

The Joyful Quilter said...

Geez, Julie!! That a whole lot of Ho, Ho, Ho. Have a merry time with all of that holiday sewing!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh my- and I am tryng to figure out one Christmas fabric quilt. Feel like such a slacker. I love the way you have them organized. Love your choices of fabric. Thank you for sharing.

Jeanne said...

Go Julie! I need to get Christmas projects organized next week also, although I'm only considering two not five!

Teresa said...

Wow, that's a lot of Christmas Cheer to complete next year. They look like they will make pretty quilts.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Wow, that's a lot of projects planned ahead! You sure are organized! Have fun with them.

Sally said...

Great strategy, I agree about once you cut out the fabrics, the decision making back and forth is put to rest. I've done a similar cutting binge on a specific group of fabrics, though it wasn't documented as nicely as you have done. Need to take more photos for my blog.

Barb N said...

I am WAY impressed! Doesn't it feel good to get behind the eight ball on these projects?Takes away that "What shall I quilt next" quandry.

Robin said...

How fun! This would make a great group sewing party. You are so organized and will be able to get these done in no time.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

What a great way to get organized and stay focused. =)

Ann said...

My goodness, you are organized. Lots of Christmas cheer here. Good luck working the plan.