Sunday, November 3, 2019

Hand Pieced Blocks



Sunday is the third and final day of
this year's 23rd annual Davies Manor quilt show.

One of the vendors near my demo area had
a stack of vintage blocks that kept calling my name.



Ironically, she was parked next to me when we unloaded
early Friday morning and I offered her the use of
my wheeled cart to haul her boxes of books indoors.




When I picked up the blocks and 
told her about my various rescue quilts, 
she told me the blocks were mine
as a thank you for clueing her into the magna cart.

(also available through Amazon, Costco, and other sellers)




I was delighted, to say the least.




I've sorted out these twelve
 and put them on my design wall.

The other 5 blocks involve quite a bit of red
so I'll use them in a smaller project later on.




I did a quick bit of sleuthing to learn more 
about the block design and found this post 
 featuring the Broken Wheel block.

* * *

I scouted out the scrap fabric sales at the show
and located some older fabrics that will work
nicely for sashing and/or cornerstones.

But first I plan to let this sit for a while
until I'm sure how I want to proceed.

* * *

Being kind really does matter.


Quiltdivajulie

15 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love these blocks! My Great Grandmother made a quilt top of these blocks sometime in the 50s or 60s. It was one of the UFO projects that she left behind that Mom and I have been slowly finishing. We called the block Rolling Stone but most of the old blocks seemed to have multiple names, depending on the source. We gave this quilt to my oldest aunt because she recognized so many of the fabrics from her clothing. Thanks for u earthing that memory!

Cathy said...

What a lovely reward for your kindness! Love those blocks and fabrics used. Reminds me of the Shirts and Giggles flimsy I completed in March inspired by a vintage quilt. I would hate to see what my blocks would look like hand pieced!
https://saneandcrazy.blogspot.com/2019/03/its-flimsy-maybe-shirts-and-giggles.html

mangozz said...

I've always wanted to make a rolling stones quilt. It will be interesting to see what you do with these blocks. They are not even close to your usual color palette.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

What a treasure! So different from your usual bold colors. It'll be interesting to see what you do with them. A lovely reward for your kindness.

Teresa said...

Nice Act-of-Kindness post for this Sunday morning reading I am doing. So nice of the other vendor to give you those blocks as well. I followed your link to the story about the Broken Wheel block, thanks for sharing that story.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a sweet stash of block! I'd say they more than make up for your hot tip about the rolling cart. Lucky YOU!!!

Magpie Sue said...

This will be a wonderful quilt eventually. Meanwhile, maybe the red blocks could make another table topper for you?

The Selvage Fairy said...

My favorites are the dark blue/cream w/black stripes. I love how the stripes don't all go the same way. Will this be a challenge to flatten?

Ann said...

What a wonderful block in striking fabrics. And how kind of her to gift them to you.

Linda Swanekamp said...

These blocks are terrific. I have always loved this pattern, but did not know what it was. The fabrics are such subtle fun. Maybe I should make a sample.

Kyle said...

What a beautiful gift. Love the fabrics.

QuiltGranma said...

What a very nice gift for your help. Enjoyed the link too. Looking forward to what you do with those lovelies.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful!!!

Nann said...

Those vintage blocks pack a powerful graphic punch. You could just frame them as they are. Your good deed was amply rewarded.

Kaja said...

Ooh, these are fabulous!