Friday, October 18, 2019

Halcyon - The Flimsy



The top for Halcyon is sewn together.

Here is a view of the back side . . .





And here is another view of the alternate block's back side.

(I made this in response to Then Came June's
Granny Cabin QAL - you can read my 
introductory post HERE)





Halcyon's flimsy measures 58" x 58"
and will be perfect (when quilted)
as a table topper for our round kitchen table.





I am so pleased that I decided to go with
the mix of scrappy light blues
for my background.





And I'm pleased with my color choices
for the two focal blocks in the quilt top.





I didn't follow the pattern's directions (gasp)
when it came time to assemble the top.

I sewed mine together in "rows" based on the 
assembled purple/pink and yellow/green blocks.

Some rows were block width while others
were the width of the larger light blue squares
and there was a bit of fancy dancing done
to make those rows coherent.

Why?  

Because I chose to use a scrappy background
and had laid it out on the design wall 
rather than using a single background fabric.





Halcyon's scrappy back is still on the other design wall
waiting for me to sew it together.

But in the meantime I've gotten sidetracked 
by another long-waiting project.



When I share For the Birds with you next,
it won't look anything at all like this photo.

And I'm pretty excited about that.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"It would be wise to embrace your childlike wonder and see nature in all her glory anew.  For then you would renew your connection to the planet that sustains your very essence."
Akasha

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the birds - I still love the one I made for my daughter

Terri said...

Love your flimsy; the colors are joyous, and the outside edges look like a finish.
Hugs

Linda Swanekamp said...

You continually amaze me. So glad you are posting all these finishes. Love this one.

Vicki W said...

Halcyon looks great!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, how I love Halcyon! I am doing a scrappy blue background similar to what you've done on this one for the Snowflake QAL! ;)

Ann said...

Halcyon is lovely front and back, inside and out. Congrats.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Both of these are going to be SEW bright and cheerful, Julie!!!

Preeti said...

Beautiful - both front and back!!!

QuiltGranma said...

LOVE your long legged birds!

Jaye said...

I often use a variety of fabrics in the same general color for a background. It really makes the quilt much more interesting, I think.