Thursday, September 19, 2019

What a Week !



This was the end-of-the-week student display 
for last week's quilting class at

(this is roughly 1/3 of their total work)




I had four eager and able students
who jumped into making scrappy strata
with enthusiasm and laughter.

It was such fun to watch them grow their skills
and gain confidence working with color.

And we spent Tuesday evening visiting 
(Murphy NC's LQS)
in order for the students to update their choices
for corner and optional sashing fabrics.

(BIG thanks to DH for driving the school's borrowed Suburban)




L. plans to make a queen size quilt 
using these (and many more)
scrappy kaleidoscope blocks.

She will add soft blue sashing between the blocks
when it comes time to lay out her quilt top.




S. had 8 of her block centers completed
and strata made for the remaining four blocks
by the end of our week in the mountains.

(one was on the cutting table when this photo was taken)

The calligraphy print will be used for her block corners.




K. used a mix of vintage fabric, 
yardage from her late mother's stash,
and fabrics from a number of estate sales
to piece her kaleidoscope blocks.

She added the mottled gray print to one block
as a test to be sure she understood the process.

She has sewn for years but this will be
her first-ever quilt top.




D. worked with bright colors and completed these block centers
plus 3 more that were not on the wall when I took the photo.

She plans to use the bright on black print 
to corner all of her blocks.

(love the spinning design the print creates)

Fun to see how they found four new ways 
to interpret my inspiration quilt.




While they stitched and pressed, 
I did some intermittent scrappy sewing of my own.

This is the companion block to the one I made
for the Instructors' display case at JCCFS.

I'll use the same backing with blue binding.

Once quilted and finished, 
these will be used as mats on our round end tables.




L. passed all of her strata end cuts and leftovers to me.

I plan to use them to make a wall size version of
Moments in Time using background greens instead of blues.




Leftover strata from making the two sample blocks
and other step outs for the class was cut into wedges.

This set will become a long reversible runner.




This group is sewn together 
ready to become a wall quilt.  

(the Ghastlies from Bless My Stitches 
will be used for the backing) 



And the smallest leftover bits of strata
were crumb pieced into three long strips.

One is 6" wide, 
one is 7.5" wide,
and the third is 8" wide.

I have a coins-related plan for these
 after combining them with two other pending projects.

We'll see how it evolves.


* * *

And while we were busy in the quilting studio,
DH was busy in his class - click here to see what he made.



Quiltdivajulie

10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, it looks like such a great time of sewing and designing. The quilts will be spectacular. I love all the little bits combined into new quilts. I am still laying out the guild show and hope to be done early next week with all the quilts labeled and bagged ready for hanging on the 3rd. I don't want this job again.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Looks like a very successful class and a fun week! You might like the Ozark Folk Center school in Mountain View Arkansas. We took classes there a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. Great music, too.

LA Paylor said...

how exciting to know you started these quilters on a new project like that. And the facility is gorgeous! I used to make appalachian baskets.
LeeAnna

Nancy said...

Could these be more wonderful! I think not. The blocks all together look grand. I'd love to take classes there someday.

Ann said...

What wonderful students you had. It looks like everyone laughed and learned lots in this delightful venue.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Looks like it was very productive, and so colourful!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your students created a wonderful variety of blocks, all very different and I hope they send you a photo of their finished projects. Looks like you scored with the gift of leftovers from one of the students, nice to add other folks choices to your fabrics.

Judy in Michigan said...

What a great time you had and I'm sure your students were overjoyed!! Happy Birthday Julie!!!! (Lynne mentioned it) Your husband's basket class looked wonderful too.

Elaine Adair said...

These are my most favoritist blocks ever. I even tried to make some "ugly" ones, using ugly fabric and they still turned out beautiful!!! What fun to see so many of them, I call them Kaleidoscope blocks.

Kaja said...

It's always interesting to see posts from classes. It emphasises how powerful our fabric choices can be and how versatile even the most 'basic' blocks are. It looks like this was a lot of fun too.