![]() |
| (the pins indicate where additional blocks will be placed) |
This is the first bit of sewing I have managed
since coming home from teaching at JCCFS.
First I randomly sorted the triangle units
into 35 sets of four using my plate system.
(there was no way to sort them other than randomly)
But this first glimpse of sewn blocks
on the design wall gave me pause.
So I went back to the inspiration photo.
After dithering around for a couple of hours
with the blocks and then auditioning sashing options,
I decided enough was enough.
I'm rapidly approaching the ending point
of this 100 day challenge
and even more than that artificial deadline,
I am ready to move on to other projects.
I shopped the stash and chose
this reproduction birdhouse print for the quilt's back
and two well-aged brownish pieces of yardage.
The diagonal gingham will be used for cornerstones
and the brown with oval spots will be used for sashing.
The soft brown tones play off the other colors nicely
without seeming wimpy or demanding undue attention -
and I hope my head can now stop feeling
like it might explode from trying to be
overly scrappy with this whole project.
* * *
At this point it looks as though the blocks
will be squared to 6.5" - but I won't know
for sure until they're all sewn together.
Meanwhile, despite my desire to find closure,
the jury is still deliberating . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The stars align more often than we realize – but we’re usually too busy staring down and our feet and wondering why we feel stuck.”
Amy Atherton



4 comments:
very funny delivery but I know that feeling of what fabric do I use? Color, tone, shade, print... what may look good in small samples might not look good over the whole quilt! Augh! I love that backing fabric, and the blocks are looking really good right now. I wonder.... do you want sashing and cornerstones? They would look good but with the right arrangement of darks to lights, so might the blocks set next to each other.
I'll be interested to read the END of this story!! :o))
Because we KNOW it continues...
I'm sitting here chuckling because I can SO relate!
I liked it without sashing but can see your choice will look good, too. And it's always easier to sew when we don't have to worry about lumpy seams. Plus this gets rid of extra fabric that's been lying around. Have fun getting it done and thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment