Monday, September 2, 2019

Optic Strings - Blocks on the Design Wall



Eleven weeks ago . . . 

Eighty sets of WOF strips
cut from solids and reproductions
and paired to make string blocks
 for a quilt inspired by the one below:




Attributed to "Aunt Etta"
from the Texas Panhandle ca. 1940-1970
and shared in Unconventional and Unexpected
by Roderick Kiracofe.




All eighty of my blocks are now on the design wall.

I may move a few of them around or
I may leave things pretty much the way they are.

Sometimes with scrappy it's best not to tinker too much.




I won't have time to sew the top together 
until after I teach at The Folk School Sept. 8-14
but I am SO enjoying the layout in the meantime.

I've had the yardage on the left for a long time
and it will make an unexpected but beautiful back
for Optic Strings when the time comes.

Hooray for reaching this point in the process!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.  
For man it is to know that and to wonder at it."
Jacques Yves Cousteau

13 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

It turned out beautiful and so is your backing. Perfect combination.

Teresa said...

Wow - that is an awesome quilt, and your backing is terrific. I think it is going to be a fun quilt, not only cuddly but fun to just admire the colors and design.

Julierose said...

Just a lovely quilt--nice work hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congratulations! Super finished blocks. Have a great class time. Wish I could have come. Our quilt guild's every three year show is in a couple of weeks and I am in charge of laying it out. Hope your foot is better and the brace is off.

Jeanne said...

Very nice!!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Wow! That backing fabric is a perfect back for your colorful quilt.
xx, Carol

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow love this top

EYSchmitt said...

Oh yes! This has turned out to be one lively, happy quilt. You have made it an enticing design to make...so wonderful in its scrappiness! What an terrific end result.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting your blocks done, Julie!! I find it interesting you "just happened" to have the PERFECT backing in your stash. Incredible, actually! I'm not that lucky... nor am I that good of a planner.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I love it! That backing is perfect for it.

Ann said...

What a great version you made. I agree that messing with scrappy much is a mistake. The current layout looks great and your back will be a wonderful treat.

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful, beautiful Julie and a delicious fabric for the backing.

audrey said...

I was so excited to see this pop up on my reader awhile back. Can't wait to see the final version.:)