Friday, August 9, 2019

Rosewood Farms - The Quilt





This was the last photo I shared of the pink barn.

(created in 2016 as a  demo/presentation 
sample block for my book BUILD A BARN)

Since the threads-chosen photo was shared, 
I have been pondering how to quilt
the barnyard and the sky . . .




And then I saw these clouds and knew what I wanted to do.

(photo taken through the windshield while DH was driving)




From flat to fabulous --

My liberated free motion all-over fans
created perfect texture for the sky and
using the barnyard fabric design as my guide
provided realistic texture for the bushes and plants.




If you look closely at the previous photo and this one,
you'll see that I put the quilt back under the needle 
after the binding was sewn in place in order to 
add stitching in the haymow and on the barn door.

Now the quilt looks finished.




The batik binding works so well -
what a happy find from the stash.




Here's a detail photo to show 
the roof line ribbon candy motif
as well as the haymow and door details.




Rosewood Farms finished 
at 22" wide by 21.5" high.

I absolutely love it.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.”

Anne Lamott

20 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I love it. It was pretty all on its own but you really gave it some life with the quilting.

Julierose said...

Beautiful finish--love the quilting on this--great choice...hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm SEW glad the you were inspired by nature, as the quilting truly brings this quilt to life!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You are so right, this is fabulous. That quilting just adds so much to the design. Perfect! Love houses so this is inspiring to me!

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is real pretty. Great sky. Just shot sky pictures like that this morning on vacation in the Adirondacks.

LA Paylor said...

You are on a roll... I like it too. The hand stitching in the hayloft is effective as a focus. Just that small amount really added to the whole. I enjoy the outdoor picture setting.

Jaye said...

I was going to comment to say that I loved your piecing for the sky, which I do. However, as I read the post, I got more and more excited about the piece. Thank you so much for *NOT* doing all over quilting. The custom quilting really makes the barn sing. I love your photo of the clouds as well. They are wonderful. Great job!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I absolutely love it too!

Judy in Michigan said...

I love it too. What a difference between before and after quilting. I also want to commend you on yesterday's turquoise piece - gorgeous (maybe it was Wednesday and the first one on the post). Love that one!!

Robin said...

It turned out lovely. And you're right about the binding, it's perfect.

Magpie Sue said...

Fabulous!

Teresa said...

Nice barn block - your quilting sets it off perfectly.

Kyle said...

You captured those clouds.

Ann said...

Making such wide fans is an excellent quilting choice for the sky. Worth the wait, Julie.

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful quilt and quilting!

Bambi Pearson said...

That barn is so cute! I wish I had the time to take your class this go around but I don't. Hopefully you will offer it again.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It is so cheerful and happy~ bravo on the quilting too!! What's not to love?

Barb said...

fabulous is right~ what a wonderful little quilt.

Mystic Quilter said...

Perfect cloud quilting Julie and what a great name for the quilt.

Preeti said...

Me too!!! I absolutely love the clouds and the quilting makes it really look like fluffy clouds.