Monday, July 15, 2019

Optic Strings and Conundrum-Week Four and More




These are this week's seven strip sets
for my Optic Strings/Conundrum project for the



Week Four's seven blocks for Optic Strings.

28 blocks done / 52 more to make


And Week Four's flying geese blocks for
the quilt I've started calling Optic Geese Conundrum.

(another "if you give a mouse a cookie" project)

* * *

In other studio happenings last week . . . 



Squares Aplenty is now webbed/ready to assemble 
including a scrappy pieced backing
for Kevin's SSSSQ (not a mystery for me) quilt.



I have finally started working on Inspi(red) 
(my variation of Amanda Jean Nyberg's Birch Trees design)
for the AHIQ Red challenge from earlier this  year.

This is yet another
 "if you give a mouse a cookie"
project because the inset strips are 
cut offs and scraps from piecing Luminous.
(also for the Red is a Neutral challenge)


My local Build a Barn 101 classes have been 
scheduled with Fabric for the Flock for 
August 15 and 22 (day and evening sessions).

I will have the Pink Barn (above) quilted 
and finished in time to share with the students.




I will also have the Cows and Balloons barn
quilted and finished to share during class.

There are four sample barns at the shop now:
the Yellow Barn, and
my SSOBB gallery quilt Flying Lessons.



Months and month ago, I pulled fabrics
to make Sunset from Cultural Fusion Quilts.  

That plan fell through and I used the fabrics 
to die cut snowballs / multiple shades of purple corners.

The project box has sat and sat - waiting.

I pulled it out this week and grouped the sets
of four snowballs with their corner triangles.
(future leader-ender sewing)

I also designed a scrappy back using 
an abundance of purple squares
and end cuts from the top's WOF strips.

All in good time - but I think I know where it's headed.

* * *

And - there were FINISHES this week!



First is the Instructor Display Case sample for
my September class at John C. Campbell Folk School.

Quilted with liberated matchstick-style quilting 
using 8 different colors of Glide thread.



I love the way the backing and purple binding
tie in with the scrappy colorful front.



Second is this 24" x 30" chair back quilt
made with leftover blocks from the 
pink and green strata quilt top.



Quilted with liberated free motion (unmarked)
multi-directional fans using Pink Glide thread.



And my big finish for this week is Flower Garden.

I made the Lattice quilt top earlier this year
when I taught the design from
at Fabric for the Flock.

When I learned last week that 
one of my two primary attorneys from the law firm 
was going into hospice care for an aggressive 
and no longer responding-to-treatment cancer, 
I knew this quilt was meant to be his.



Quilted with Glide thread in Mocha
(as a nod to his love of coffee)
using free motion liberated Baptist Fans.

I truly hope it brings color and comfort to him.

* * *




I took Wanda's advice and ordered an 8.5" square
felted pressing mat for the small end table
that fits under my sewing table.

(I already had the iron and the two-sided turntable)


* * *

Be back again next Monday
with another weekly recap.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------

13 comments:

Julierose said...

All beautiful pieces...you have a lot going on! I love the barn with the cows in the front lawn--just made me smile hugs, Julierose

Pamela Arbour said...

Wow! that was a lot to take in! Just beautiful. I am enjoying your strings. You really seem to have a vision for that. I love everything else you are working on as well. I need to take a nap after seeing all the work you have done! LOL

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

WOW! You've been busy making beauty. I especially like the Optics. So often you are my inspiration.....

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Wow, you've been busy! So many beautiful projects, but I especially like the red birch trees and your blue/green four patch project. I hope you're having fun with them!

Preeti said...

Words fail me and I am exhausted just reading about all that you have accomplished and all that you continue to do. Sounds like revenge quilting to account for the days you were unwell :-) You are sewing like you stole it :-D

Kaja said...

Blimey, you are getting a lot done! I think the pink barn is one of my favourites ever.

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, SO much progress! Well done you! And best wishes to your attorney/friend.

Mari said...

Wow, you've been busy! Absolutely love the red quilt blocks. Really inspired, uses scraps, and gives me ideas. I also love your pink and green finish for your chair. It looks so fresh and pretty. And the pink barn! Such great stuff!

Bambi Pearson said...

Awesome projects Julie. I hate that I will be out of town for one of the days you are teaching the barn quilt. Hopefully you will teach it again.

audrey said...

Wow! You've been busy, busy! Making up for all the enforced down time I'm sure.:) I love how you take the leftover bits from one project and jump right into another! Your stripey geese are really giving me the 'feels'. lol

Mystic Quilter said...

Can't believe how much you have going on in your quilting studio!! Barns (favourite is the pink) trees (love this glowing red), Flower Garden - stunning and will be so much loved by your friend, as usual I am always inspired by your organisation of projects, a real time saver, note to self to do better with mine!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a lot of work (and awesome finishes, too!!)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, heaps happening in this post! I love your 'flower garden' quilt, your fabric choices are so vibrant!