I'll be teaching a class featuring
Gwen's liberated stars and baskets
at Fabric for the Flock in early June.
I had two quilts on hand to use as
shop samples for Gwen's liberated stars.
Amazingly, I had not made any of her liberated baskets.
This is the freshly-pressed back side
of the top's central section.
Those stitched but invisible handles tickle me.
Here is the quilt top with its borders sewn on.
(I've had that blue-green batik in the stash
for at least ten years - feels so good to use it)
Quilted with multi-directional free motion fans
using Affinity (variegated) Turf in the center,
Marine (variegated) in the border, and
companion Glide (solid) threads in the bobbin.
31" wide x 35" long
* * *
When I started this quilt I had no idea
Gwen was battling an aggressive cancer
or that she would pass away late last week.
What an amazing legacy she leaves behind
with her decades of teaching, her fabulous books,
her excellent iQuilt classes, and
the thousands of students who were blessed
to spend time with her, many of whom
now share her teachings with the rest of us.
I was never able to attend one of her classes
(the closest I came was in late 2016)
but Gwen's teachings and writings have
enlightened and influenced me so much.
I am and will be forever grateful to her.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Perfection is not a god to be worshipped,
nor does it have anything to do with art."
Gwen Marston







15 comments:
I just love it. And want it! I'd take your class. That border! I like the angles you chose, and the marbled fabrics. Gwen was original... so sad to lose her.
how large is the finished block, and the finished quilt?
You are amazingly prolific!! The basket quilt is so bright and whimsical. I love it.
I was also very sad to hear of Gwen's death. She has inspired and taught so many people.
Your quilt is just stunning. I bet the class will be a fun one to take! Love the border fabric you chose. ;-)
We are all the richer as a result of Gwen's phenomenal body of work and "permission" to relax the rules. I am so glad that you are carrying the torch, Gwen is undoubtedly smiling down on those baskets. Hugs~
A beautiful quilt. I have made a basket quilt but not in this style. Congratulations for carrying Gwen's work forward. You class will be exciting for the participants.
A beautiful tribute. Gwen would have love that you were 'making'...
Beautiful quilt. I was fortunate enough to be able to take one of her classes years ago and it was so much fun. Was so sorry to hear of her passing
LOVE the quote and your Gwen's baskets are fantastic....really wonderful. Julie, your quilting is coming along so well, it's been so enjoyable watching your growth.
Love your basket quilt = some of Gwen and some of you. Perfect!!
what a great basket quilt - love the color story. have fun teaching
Gorgeous!! Love these baskets so very much.:)
What a fun basket quilt! Lovely colors and quilting too. Way to go!
Such a beautiful project... love your colour and fabric choices and the quilting is gorgeous!
Gwen Marston's work will continue to be an inspiration for many quilters for many years. I can see why the outline of the basket handles would tickle you. It should be there. It almost is but not quite. The baskets are beautiful and because the color scheme is limited there is so much to discover in each.
Post a Comment