Thursday, February 7, 2019

Dumpster Diving 5 - Major Progress




This was the initial fabric sort for
what will become my fifth Dumpster Diving quilt.

(you can see the others HERE)



The floral fabric will be the quilt's backing
and the stunning turquoise blender
will be the quilt's accent color.




After weeks of stitching short pieces
 of 1.5" wide fabrics from the scrap stash
 end to end (over and over) as leaders-enders,
I finally have workable lengths to test out my plan.




I didn't count or measure as I was working,
I just sewed and sewed and sewed.




And ironically when I stopped
and pressed the lengths, all three color groups
were within inches of each other.




This has been my working inspiration quilt.

Wendy Hook's “Backward Log Cabin” (2018)
Hand dyed and commercial cotton. 
Machine quilted.    40” x 60” 




Tuesday evening I started stitching . . . and
I was delighted to see that my plan just might work.


Then on Wednesday I chanced across this image.

Designed by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr
of Modern Quilt Studio,
FRAMED appears in Modern Quilts Illustrated #13.

And my brain took off in an entirely new direction.


A few hours later with the help of an Excel spreadsheet
I now have an updated working design for 
Dumpster Diving 5 aka Catharsis.

DD5 may not be a finished top in time for 
my Dumpster Diving workshop with members of 
Scrap Club hosted by Kevin the Quilter
on March 1st, but I will definitely 
have a terrific work-in-progress to share.

(and from a teaching standpoint,
that may actually be a good thing)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
Catharsis (noun):  The purging or release of emotional tensions, especially through kind of art or music.



14 comments:

Kyle said...

Your Dumpster Dive #5 is going to be awesome. Funny how all 3 piles almost measured the same.

Paulette said...

First of all, I have to say that to design a quilt in an Excel spreadsheet is brilliant. Second, that quilt looks to be stunning!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Catharsis (noun): The purging or release of emotional tensions, especially through kind of art or music......or through the release of fabric to the wilds!!! How awesome it is to have an inspiration show up right as you're working on a new project.....you know, instead of afterwards ;-)

Judy in Michigan said...

Amazing...I had never thought of using Excel to design a quilt! Brilliant!!!! Thank you so much.

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are amazing- first you know how to use Excel for graphing a quilt and second you think of such fantastic ways to use your fabric. I am in awe. It will be so beautiful.

Magpie Sue said...

Oh my, now I have new ideas swirling in my head!

Bambi Pearson said...

WOW, I love how your mind works!

Kay said...

WOW!!! #5 is going to be spectacular! You inspire me to experiment with improv and traditional blended together. So many ideas of new projects.

audrey said...

I love this idea so much! It's wonderful when inspiration hits from out of the blue and off you go. Can't wait to see this one come fully to fruition! You are such an inspiration to us all.:)

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh boy! Can't wait to watch this one grow!

Ann said...

I like both inspirations. Yours will love wonderful, too. So many ways to set out these simple strips.

Kaja said...

Like Ann, I like both inspirations and can't wait to see how yours evolves.

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, this is going to be fantastic!

Nann said...

Serenditiptous catharsis -- and another beautiful design is underway.