Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year!



During the last few weeks of 2018
I did plenty of thinking about how
I want to spend my 2019 studio time.

So here are the top ten things
I've been thinking about:

One

My guiding word for 2019 will be WONDER.

I want to include all aspects of the word
including curiosity, contemplation, gratitude, 
surprise, awe, admiration, etc.

Two

I want to plan less and piece more.


Three

I gave up Facebook a year or so ago
and aside from not being able to
access info for some businesses
who only have FB pages,
I do not miss it at all.

I am active on Instagram with a 
private (not public) feed but
in the past week I've significantly reduced
the number of people I follow
and cut the number of people who 
had been granted permission to follow me.

It's nothing personal.

It's because I want to spend 
less time scrolling/reacting and
more time stitching.

Four

I've chosen one full-size project 
that I'll piece on a month-to-month basis

I'll share that on Saturday Jan. 5 or 12.

Five

I plan to continue playing along 
subject to the challenges and
whether or not they inspire me.

Six


I'm excited about participating in Sujata's 

I've spent some time revisiting
Roderick Kiracofe's book
and have chosen several quilts
that suit fabric pulls I want to work with.

Sujata's first post for the QAL
is due on January 7th --
we'll see how she wants us to proceed.

Seven

I also plan to participate in Lori's
using several fabric pulls that
have been waiting to be played with.

These projects will also be inspired by quilts
in the Unconventional and Unexpected book,
just because there are so many I like.

(I'll also share my string projects on 

Eight

I want to make time to enjoy 
quilting and finishing what I've created.

(I'm sure Max will appreciate the play time)

Nine

I want to focus on using what I have
rather than buying more to feed the stash
because of a sale or an irrational fear
that any given fabric will no longer be available.

Ten

And I especially want to honor 
what makes me the happiest --
playing with scraps and strings 
AND chasing squirrels.





Time will tell how things will actually unfold.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  
Try to make sense of what you see, 
and wonder about what makes the universe exist.  
Be curious."  
(Stephen Hawking)



14 comments:

joe tulips said...

Happy new year! I’m with you on number 9. I have not bought much lately. I did break down the other day and bought 20 fat quarters for 20 dollars. I was bringing in my final finished quilts for my list and she was having a sale at the shop. Getting 20 projects finished in 2018 was such a good feeling that I want to continue.

Shelina said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like great goals. I gave myself permission to chase squirrels this year and I am glad I did. It does make quilting so much mor eenjoyable.

Jeanne said...

Excellent goals! Happy 2019!

Mari said...

Happy 2019! Looks like you've thought a lot about this coming year. I especially like #8 and #10. My resolution for this year is to slow down so I don't burn out. Best wishes for a great year!

LA Paylor said...

whew! I agree with Mari... 8 and 10 resonate with me. Do what you love best... wonder confuses me a bit, as a word, with so many meanings and connotations. It will be cool to see how you incorporate it into your life this year.

lynn said...

What I liked most about your post is that you are identifying what will make you happy. Life is short and busy, finding what makes us happy seems a wise decision, worthy of study. I wish you peace, joy and love in 2019 as you pursue your goals. My word for 2019 is "kindness". We can each choose this response in all our daily contacts and activities. May you receive and give kindness in all your contacts.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Here’s to squirrel chasing!

SandyPA said...

My word of the year is "venture". I like your thoughtful goals and hope you achieve them all. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wonderful post! I especially like the Stephen Hawking quote. I've had a string piecing project in the planning stages for a bit....long before everyone and their brother is doing them ;-] Almost makes me want to hold off.....there's a shirting project I'm looking forward to starting too :)

Cathy said...

Sounds like a good plan!

Magpie Sue said...

Good luck with number nine on your list! I'm going to have to have a look at a couple of the challenges/quilt-alongs you've mentioned. Not that I need anything to add to *my* To Do list!
Here's to a creative new year!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Good plan!! Glad you kept me on IG - I love browsing that at night when I am supposed to be sleeping! Love seeing your creations!!

Kyle said...

Enjoyed reading your plans for the new year. I love the thought of 12 new chapters and 365 chances.

Ann said...

Good plans. Quilting should make us happy and fulfilled. Your plans will help you achieve those results.