Using the layout in the magazine article
as a guideline, I chose 20 blocks
and pinned them on the design wall.
(ala upper left quadrant of the sample quilt)
Clearly 20 blocks were not adequate.
So I added another column on the left
and did some additional rearranging of blocks/colors.
This will be the perfect size to use
as a topper for our kitchen table.
A bit more tweaking and rearranging . . .
I am surprised at how almost-muted the colors appear
in these photos - they are so rich and saturated in person.
I pinned the backing fabric on the design wall
and headed out for a much-needed haircut
and grocery store run.
Hopefully by the weekend,
I'll have time to get this sewn together.
(at this point, I'm considering a navy blue solid for binding,
but I won't make a final decision
until this has been quilted)
* * *
The bright orange strata have been
turned into two blocks plus two more segments.
They're already pieced together to make a runner
for our cedar chest/coffee table
to coordinate with the colorful tree pillows.
The other leftover blocks and strata have been sliced
into narrow strips to make several journal covers.
(those will be for sale in the Craft Shop
at the Folk School next September
during the week that I'm teaching)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Progress is
Thor Heyerdahl





9 comments:
Well, it turned out pretty cool. Very different, yet strong. You certainly know how to use every piece. Isn't the camera colors frustrating at time?
That's going to be a fun addition to the kitchen table. It would be fabulous to see what it looks like for 'real.'
Very nice. Now I want to try one. It looks so easy and the effect is lovely I think the fabrics you used make it perfect
If it worent for hair cuts and food gathering, we might now give ourselves a bit of a break from the making. -- oh and throw house cleaning in there, and socializing, church and other activities.. I think it is good though, lets us clear our head and come back fresh
I love how flipping a strip cut off the strata adds that extra zing. A subtle but interesting shift. I was thinking "Shift Happens" for a possible name, but that's just me. ;)
Such a clever little design. You will love it on your kitchen table.
Speaking as someone who complicates simplicity all the time, I love that quote. These blocks are very clever and I can already picture this looking perfect on a kitchen table, though I have to admit I am imagining it on my own table rather than yours. :-)
Lovely!
I enjoyed following your design process.
This is lovely. For some reason, the main color to me is a gold against the darker blues. The effect is really nice and this will look great on your table where you can appreciate the colors every day.
What magazine article are you referencing? Love that block pattern!
Post a Comment