Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Pondering Options



All of the strata are pieced and
the previously-sewn strata
have been cut and sewn into blocks.

(click here for previous post in case
you missed the intro for this project)

At this point, I wanted to see
all of the color combinations 
on the design wall at the same time.

I even brought back the two strata
that I had previously removed
to give myself more options.

(to see more fabric detail, 
double-click to supersize photos)




For a 48" x 60" quilt top, I need 20 blocks.

Each strata yields 2 or 3 blocks
so I have plenty of options to work with.

However . . . 

The bright Malka Dubrawsky orange
in the upper left corner feels too bold 
and the multi-color swirls in the 
lower right corner still seem too dark.

* * *

Next step will be to create blocks from 
these eight sets of strata
and start playing with layout options.

We shall see . . . 



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Once I make up my mind, I'm full of indecision."
Oscar Levant

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Very nice pairings of fabrics! The orange doesn't seem over-bold in the photo, but maybe in person it does. This will be a most interesting quilt.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I guess there needs to be good contrast between the shibori and the other choice. Maybe that is why the dark one and orange one don't work. It looks like a neat quilt. I have some of those shibori fat quarters also and have not figured out how to use them. Do you think they would work in the 2 x 4 pattern quilt?

Janie said...

The dark strips could be unpicked and matched with something else?
The orange is shockingly lovely!

Mari said...

Hmmm...I agree about the dark one, but I like the orange. It's zippy anad lively, but maybe not so much in person. Seems like you're going a good direction!

em's scrapbag said...

Have fun playing with your blocks. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

audrey said...

That quote is perfect! It could be me lately for sure.:) Love seeing your project on the wall. Always fun to move into the layout phase!

Elaine M said...

I like the orange and dark one. I think making the blocks to see what plays nicely is a good idea. You make like the dark ones since they may allow others to pop. The orange is high energy, Isn't there always some kid on the playground running wild?

Nann said...

Coming late to the thread .... thanks for providing a link to the pattern. I knew I'd seen it in a recent magazine but could not remember which one.