Three years ago last month I decided to participate
in the "modern" group of Barb's Bow Tie swap.
I made a LOT of bow tie blocks
and sent off 80 of them to be swapped
with the other participants.
A few weeks later, I received a package from Barb
filled with 80 blocks made by other participants.
But HOW to use them?
Sometime during mid-2016
I came up with this row-style setting.
It was the first quilt I'd made using grays
as the background fabrics.
But then the finished quilt top stalled.
I had just purchased my APQS George sit-down longarm
but I wasn't very good at using it and
I didn't feel confident enough to quilt this.
So the top and the pieced back
were hung in my closet . . .
Over two years later as I sandwiched the layers,
I still wasn't 100% sure of how I wanted to quilt
these scrappy bow ties.
But as I was pin basting the final row,
the answer dawned on me.
Liberated orange peels!
So I did -- and I love the results.
Evenly distributed unifying texture
without an overpowering amount of thread.
(Glide's Nickel on top and Lead on the back)
The gray and white striped binding
adds a little bit of sassiness to the quilt's edges
and plays nicely with the scrappy back.
I am ELATED with this long overdue finish.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice reduces the imperfection." Toba Beta







25 comments:
So bright and cheerful, love it!
Love the setting! With the gray background it is a delight
I was in the swap and made a quilt. It is still on a hanger waiting to be quilted. Yours is gorgeous, love the different grays and the quilting is just perfect.
Never would have thought to use this setting. Great idea, I love it!!
Mighty cute quilt! That was a fun swap. Your grays are a great setting, and I like the backing, too.
The result is a fabulous swap quilt!! Love, love, love the random chunky gray backing you came up with. Balances perfectly with the bright and cheerful front of the quilt!!
What a great setting for the swap blocks. I love the different greys and your quilting design. Thanks for swapping and sharing.
Can I post your photo on the FB page?
Congrats on the finish! Perfect choice of quilting for this top. And I love the scrappy grey backgrounds and the row layout.
Love it!
I love that setting - it makes me like the bowtie block more! And here at my house, that closet where unfinished tops await their turn we call The Closet of Shame. :)
And I thought this must be one of the RSC quilts. Guess not. The simple setting with plain grey in between is simple and stylish. Striped sassy binding - ooh yes. I am with you.
Lovely finish, Julie, and the quilting looks just right.
I think 'perfection' is over rated and means different things to different people.
Practice brings out the unique style of the artist, I think, and that's where the
fun is.
It turned out great!
sweet! looks great!
I love your idea of setting the bow tie blocks in rows. Very creative and the orange peel quilting complements the angles of the block design perfectly. It's really lovely.
I think you've invented a new setting, Julie -- I've never seen bow ties arranged that way. AND the color bars are a good idea for Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The elation you feel is well-deserved!
Love it! And thank you for telling the thread colors that you use when quilting - very helpful.
Julie, this is quite lovely. The orange peel is the perfect quilting choice. I'm so glad you feel confident with your long arm work now. All those dark greys on the back make the bowties shine even more. Congratulations on a wonderful finish.
What an unusual setting for bow ties! I just love your unique approach and how your quilt turned out. Congrats!
The stitching pattern is wonderful with the bowties! Lovely to finish up a long completed top. Really liked seeing your unique setting for these blocks.:)
Fantastic quilt! I love the bright bow ties on the gray background and the setting is unique and fun!
So fun to see your fabulous finish! And fun to know a couple of blocks I made are in your quilt! Love Barb’s block exchanges.
Bow ties are always fun, but this one is a fun treasure!!
Love this beauty!! Your setting is so very different from the usual Bow Tie.
Fabulous finish! Love the quilting!
Post a Comment