Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Update on Challenge Quilt Effort




The 2018 Davies Manor Quilt Challenge 
is called Panelmania.

The challenge is to start with a panel
and make it into a quilt.

Sounds simple -- 
but I'm here to tell you that it has not been simple at all.




Step One for me was to cut the panel apart.

Sheesh - you'd think all the squares would be sized the same.

Nope.

There was as much as .5" difference due to fabric distortion
from being rolled on the bolt.




Step two was to play with all of the extra companion fabrics
to come up with a scrappy backing.

I like it but that center vertical didn't play the way I'd hoped.




This feels better.

In the end, I want this to be a quilt that I LIKE and will USE.




Here is the sketch that I finally came up with for the front.

A few things have already changed,
but that is pretty normal . . .

The challenge  also includes the statement
that borders are supposed to be "pieced and appliquéd."

I don't do much appliqué 
so that took a bit of puzzling and pondering.

I think Gwen's and Freddy's bias strips will do nicely.  




Those gray strips at the top and bottom 
are now out of the running.

I'll use the two-part blue/pink on all four sides.

* * *

My cold morphed into a sinus infection 
so I'm still moving pretty slowly,
but at least I mostly know where I want to go with this.

The turn-in date is October 30-31 so
 there's plenty of time to piece the front and back
and quilt my entry before then.


Quiltdivajulie

10 comments:

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Wow, I had no idea panel squares could vary by so much. I really like what you're doing with them. It seems unusual to piece the back first. Do you usually start by piecing the back to help determine the front?

Ann said...

I have never made the back first either but can see it might be a good choice here. It will be interesting to see all the challenge results.
I'm so sorry you're sick. It's horrible feeling so bad. It drags everything down, doesn't it? Get better soon.

Shelina said...

Looks like a great start to a great project. I don't spend any time auditioning fabrics for backs - just throw it in there, but I think it is a good idea to do so - to help better like the finished product!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I know exactly what you mean. We did a panel challenge in our group and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. You are off to a great start! Can't wait to see the final results.

Nancy said...

Well, first off, I like the panel print you chose- and second, the backing is terrific! But companies that make panels need to listen to quilters' laments- they are difficult to size and often require a small border around each image to equalize them. And I notice they are frequently printed off grain, so to capture the image properly, forces you to cut it that way. But with that said, the choices of panels are so wonderful these days. Seems they used to be just teddy bears and trains for children's quilts. Hope you feel better. Look forward to seeing this (and others in the challenge, if you are permitted to photograph and share them).

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an interesting challenge!! I've neglected our Guild Challenge this year. It's due just before yours. Here's hoping your progress faster than I have!!

Mari said...

Ugh, a sinus infection! Feel better soon! The quilt looks good so far. Interesting panel and interesting idea about what to do with it, in spite of the size issues. Are the wavy green lines on your sketch the applique? A teacup applique somewhere would be nice with that panel. Or maybe that magnificent hat? Can't wait to see your finish! Have some tea and rest!

QuiltGranma said...

I so agree with you about being off grain! VERY frustrating!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

This is a cute panel. Is it J Wecker Frisch?
Anyway, I always have problems with panels. Mainly it is difficult to cut them up with out sacrificing a portion.. Some companies are fantastic about printing on grain and I never had a problem. Others, when I have this sort of problem, I try to make time to email the company and tell them about the failures I encounter. (which is not always time I have to spare)

I hope you get better soon, antibiotics are amazing. I rarely get sick and when I do get the rare sinus infection, it is out of there. As an olden nurse, I know an expectorant is also effective.

I love this challenge project and I am looking forward to your result

Preeti said...

Your handwriting is as neat as your quilting. Sending you hugs and feel-good wishes.