Rise and Roost is one of the 18 quilting projects
I want to work on in 2018.
I'm starting with this one because
over the past thirteen months
this flimsy has grown in my head
to become the most complicated
(hence the "hardest")
on the list.
I could simply quilt this with liberated Baptist Fans
and it would be a wonderful lap quilt.
But last fall Chris and I spent an afternoon
pondering unmarked free motion ideas
that fit within my still-growing skill set.
So using an all-over design now
feels like I would be cheating the quilt
in order to avoid challenging myself.
As I pinned the quilt sandwich,
I continued to debate whether or not
to tackle multiple designs and threads.
I was about to go with the Baptist Fans . . .
. . . but then I pulled out my sketch from last fall.
Surprise!
My plan was not nearly as complicated
as my head was remembering it
and the designs are well within my skill set.
![]() |
| (the tape dispenser's weight keeps the pool noodles from rolling down the table) |
With THAT dilemma resolved,
I can now get busy and wind bobbins.
It will be interesting to see what happens
when the stitching actually begins.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Design for joy!"
Suhasini Paul





9 comments:
Your quilting plan is fabulous and looks like it would be fun to do. Love it.
The quilting plan is wonderful. No all over design for such a fabulous quilt design.
i need to expand my quilting skill set. i'm stuck with all-over FMQ ideas and trying to improve upon them while using just a regular home machine. your design drawing is what i need to do to get myself in that direction. thanks for the idea! and i'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle this one.
Good luck! You can do it!
What a fun quilt, and I'm so glad you're going with the sketch instead of fans - you're going to love it so much more!
have you considered using some parallel straight lines on the roof??? It would add interesting variety and tie your quilting to your subject very nicely... it will be gorgeous either way, of course
I like how your quilting design flows over the surface.
That looks like a great quilting plan! I predict you'll be really happy with it when it's finished :)
Love it! Good luck! you will have so much fun.......and so much frustration! LOL
Post a Comment