Saturday, November 26, 2016

Rise and Roost - My OMMS Flimsy




This is what I thought would be
my final layout for Rise and Roost.
(my version of Sophie's 
Old MacDonald Mystery Sampler)

NOT.

I ended up redesigning the mountain range,
moving the snail's trail blocks, and
rearranging my flock of chickens
and nearly all of the flower blocks.





I pulled out my backing fabric
and inserted a panel created with
quite a few of the orphan blocks
that were not used in the quilt's front.





Design wall photo of the backing
with its 24" x 36" inserted panel. 




This photo does a better job of showing
the vibrant colors in the scrappy blocks.




Here is the finished flimsy on the design wall.
(casually pinned on top of the backing)

48" wide x 66" long

(and if you're wondering about the name,
double click on the final photo
and check out the barn's haymow)

* * *

Linking up with The Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

Click here to see what the others are  
working on this week.



Quiltdivajulie

20 comments:

KaHolly said...

It's quite stunning!

Ariane said...

It's beautiful!!!

Mari said...

Not sure what I like better, the back or the front! Do love those chickens, though. Great work making it your own. Lovely!

Jeannine said...

I thought your first layout looked great, but the second and final layout is even better. You are so clever. It's just wonderful.

Vicki in MN said...

Wow, what creativity!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Beautiful! I love your idea for the back - so creative!

LA Paylor said...

this project has given you hours and hours of fun. Then hours of design fun while you arranged blocks. I just think it's terrific!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I absolutely LOVE that you've made this quilt your own!! Nice work on using up the leftover blocks on the back, too.

Peggyinno said...

What a great quilt, front AND back!!!

PaulaB quilts said...

The thought you put into the revisions really shows, with a balanced and colorful piece. I like the ring around the Rosie's in one of the snail trails. However snails were my nemesis in CA. the purple pansies are so pretty. Nice idea for the back with so many extra blocks, two for the price of one. Congrats!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

wow!!! That is so amazing - front and back!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Isn't it amazing that when we think we are done, we move a block, and then another and the whole thing gets changed. I like your final design.

gayle said...

I think your back design is wonderful enough to stand on its own! You've ended up with two happy quilts, or one happy reversible quilt!

Kyle said...

Lovely. The mixture of different blocks makes the tool piece so interesting. I especially like the few curved blocks in the sky.

Cathy said...

Oh, how cute! Can't wait to see what Sophie has in mind for a final version.

Mystic Quilter said...

A super flimsy finish -a what a great backing you have come up with. I'm interested to see how you'll be quilting this one.

Nancy said...

What a wonderfully fun quilt, Julie. I love everything about it (especially the red barn and the fabric you used for it). I expected to see a small, light-colored rooster when I enlarged the last photo. What a fun surprise to see "rise" and "roost."

Jennifer said...

LOVE. IT. your attention to detail is noticed, and applauded! looks great!

joe tulips said...

I love it! Someday I'll pull out my done blocks, make more like you did and play! Or play and make more blocks as needed!

smazoochie said...

Really charming!