Sunday, November 5, 2017

Grape Pansy Caper - Mystery Quilt No. 2



I did not want to make 
one very large mystery quilt
so I created two lap/couch quilts instead.

After finishing GPC-1, 
(see previous post)
I used the remaining segments
and, instead of making more blocks,
(boring)
I randomly pieced the strips
into three long columns.

And after following the rules 
while making GPC-1,
it felt SO good to break away and
create something completely unexpected
for this second quilt.




I cut 1.5" strips of Turquoise Grunge
and used them to frame the last of the pieced strips
for two vertical sashing units.





And I bought yardage 
of this incredible fabric for the back.

(Midnight C3898 by Chong-Ahwang
for Timeless Treasures)




Persian Glide thread was chosen for the quilting.




Horizontal liberated/organic wavy lines
were just right for my Grape Pansy Caper-Part Two.




I couldn't be any happier with the texture.




And the quilted back . . .  deep sigh!





I used more Turquoise Grunge to bind GPC-2.

48" wide x 60" long after quilting.



GPC-2 on display.




And guess who came to see Grandma at the quilt show?





Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. 
Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. 
So write and draw and build and play
 and dance and live as only you can."
Neil Gaiman



17 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I really liked how you used the aqua. Nice touch! Thanks for sharing.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh the blue is just fabulous. The backing is wonderful. I love how the blue toned the green and unified the entire quilt.

Nancy said...

The quilt looks great, and oh, that backing! wow. I'm not familiar with Glide thread. But if it lives up to its name, I'll look into it. Cute pic at the quilt show!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like this second quilt so much better than the first although it is nice too. You and your little cutie.....what a great photo!!

Patty said...

This is very pretty. I love how the blue / teal stripes pop the quilt.

Julianne said...

Beautiful! That backing is perfectly amazing!

Judy in Michigan said...

I REALLY like this one!!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh oh oh....I like this one even better than the last!

Janie said...

Fun time with your grandson there!
Very exciting quilt, nice work.

Louise said...

What a great choice for the third color, Julie! The vertical sashing really changes up the whole look and feel of the blocks. And Chong Ahwang's fabric designs are always so lush...I hoard my scraps of her stuff :)

Ann said...

I think I like your new version even better. The blue is so attractive. Congratulations on a finish, a show, and a fabulous fan.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Love the Turquoise Grunge stripes and the same colour for the border. I really like your quilt! What a sweet photo of the two of you!

-Soma

gayle said...

I liked GPC #1, but I LOVE this one!

Mari said...

Just lovely! The turquoise was the perfect choice. This complements the first one perfectly, too.

Kyle said...

That turquoise is a knock out. Don't know if I like #1 or #2 better. Both are fantastic.

Cathy said...

Omg, both quilts turned out fabulously!! Exquisite colors! You will steal the show with them.

audrey said...

LOVE the addition of the blue strips! Perfect ending.:)