I recently shared the quilted and bound
advent tree wallhanging here.
Now it is fully finished and ready for action
beginning on December first.
As you can see, I sewed 25 vintage glass buttons
onto the tree and added one extra large button at the top.
Here is what the fully decorated advent tree
will look like on December 25th.
A full length view with all ornaments
hanging on the tree.
24" wide x 47" long
Next I sewed 25 mother of pearl
and/or creamy vintage buttons
onto the snowy ground beneath the advent tree.
Four mother of pearl hexagon buttons
came from a sweater my father wore as a child.
The others came from button boxes
belonging to my grandmothers and
DH's maternal grandmother.
(hint: photos will enlarge if double-clicked)
Here is how the snowy ground
will look at the beginning of December.
I added a hanging sleeve to the upper edge
and another to the lower edge
so the lower rod's weight will help
the wallhanging stay flat against the wall.
So why did I do all this?
The felted wreath shown above
was the original display location
for all 25 ornaments.
After 30+ years of service
and reading this post,
I realized it was way past time
for an updated approach --
one that allowed the ornaments
waiting to be hung to also be part of the story.
I think this new version will last a long, long time.
Deep and Crisp and Even was finished just in time
to be shared during the Davies quilt show.
It was interesting to listen to viewer comments.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose."
Charles du Bois









13 comments:
I love it! so creative. It looks beautiful with the ornaments on the tree, on the ground and in progress. Thanks for sharing your process and finish.
Super, unique advent calendar! I love how you used meaningful buttons :)
Excellent!! Love the buttons and the scrap greens for the tree. Tell us about the ornaments. The quilting is awesome.
How sweet! I remember fondly the felt advent calendar my mother made for us. This is sensational.
Just fantastic!
What a lovely finish. Clever use of double buttons. All your ornaments are adorable. Did you say they were previously made?
Enjoy!
This is adorable! I bet I can think of a small boy who will love this too!
What a treasure to have on your wall each Christmas!
Well done, on oh-so-many levels! I daresay that even Good King Wenceslas would be proud!
You already know I love it! Congrats on the finish. I'm inspired.
I really don't do Christmas but I think I would do this!
Such a good idea and this will be a lot of fun to share with grandchildren!
OH OH! Just too darn cute!!!
Post a Comment