Monday, June 5, 2017

Renovations Report No. 1



Renovations began in earnest this weekend.

First up was the closet
in what will become the new design studio.

All existing shelving was removed,
the double doors were taken off,
holes were plastered, the ceiling was painted,
new LED puff lights were installed,
and the walls were painted.

(here you can see the old color and a hint of the new color)




After the newly-painted walls dried, 
we installed the new shelving.

(paint color is the same as my sewing studio)

The white shelves are melamine covered boards.

The two silver shelves are rolling units
purchased at a big box store.

This view is of the right-hand end of the closet.




This is the left end of the closet.




Here is the right side of the partially-loaded closet.





And here is the left end.

DH installed a hanging rod 
just a few inches from the ceiling
so that I can hang my quilts waiting to be quilted
along with some smaller finished quilts
that are not hanging on a wall.





This is what the closet opening looks like for now.




Once DH finishes his final teleconference,
these last remains of his office will be removed.




Then the ceiling, trim, and walls
in the rest of the room can be painted.

(the couch will move to our new office down the hall)

The transformation is going to be awesome!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"It's good to feel the rush of something nice coming on."
Mary Smart

19 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh sew exciting! Thanks for sharing your renovations. It's always fun to see how others are organizing their spaces.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, be still my heart over all that wonderful storage space and shelves! I need to find a place to pool all my fabric instead of under my sewing table. It is going to be so gorgeous!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

It looks s going to be awesome! My sewing room is the den, so the one thing I lack is a closet. I wish I had one! Yours is amazing!

LA Paylor said...

how fresh! And a new start feels great! Will the walls be lavender? The window is so pretty, it's a design element in the room
It and the new shelves would be enough to glow over

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I envy those large closets in newer homes. You have made good use of every inch in there. I love the rolling shelf units for so many reasons although the directions that came with mine said not to move them when shelves were full. I'm careful and DO move mine loaded.

Louise said...

I'm so excited for you!! This reminds me a little of the space in our rental property that might eventually become my studio if/when we ever settle down :)

Monica said...

So that lovely window is going to be yours now? What a wonderful large space! Oh, envy! I've been feeling like I'm right up at the limits of my space lately. It will be interesting to see how you organize yours!

Mari said...

It's going to be awesome, but you have my sympathy and good wishes for surviving the renovation! Love the closet so far. The high hanging rod is a genius idea.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

This is very, very exciting, and I'll look forward to updates! Wow!

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Very exciting! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Mystic Quilter said...

This is coming along quickly - looking great Julie. I have to say I am so envious of all the space you will have!

Janie said...

Great quote!
Exciting, thanks for sharing.

Kyle said...

New space, redecorated, reorganized = new energy

joe tulips said...

Awesome is an understatement. I'm excited for you and the new space.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow Wow Wow!!!

Magpie Sue said...

I admit to being just a bit jealous over here. Not of the work, but of the results!

Ann said...

What a treat to see your quilt room in progress. There are so many clever details. Thanks for sharing.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

So exciting!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh! Don't EVEN talk to me about renovations! Two things I won't do for love or mine are 1- live in a camper for any amount of time and 2- renovate something.....just sayin'

Glen. Floating down here in Louisiana