Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Dumpster Diving 2.0 - The Flimsy



First I sewed the four rows together.





Seams were pressed open.





The rows were then attached to each other . . .




Of course I ran out of the newspaper collage strips 
before I could finish the outer borders 
so I used a KF print called Clover and Dots
to fill in the gaps.




Here it is turned 180 degrees.

The top was a bit on the smallish side
so I cut strips to add another border all around . . . 




And here is the finished flimsy!

Dumpster Diving 2.0
measures 50" wide x 65" long.




I plan to back it with this favorite newsprint of mine
 called Story by Carrie Bloomston.

I am beyond happy with the way this top came together!

Stop by again on Thursday to see what happened
to all those leftover lego scraps.

* * *

Linking up with Beth's Monday Making

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Like all photographers creatives, I depend on serendipity... I pray for what might be referred to as the angel of chance."
Sally Mann

26 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I thought you might use some of those long leftover strips to make a piano border. I guess those will be in another project? Just love all the fabrics!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, bravo! It is so beautiful! It is a totally unique quilt and so much fun.

Ann said...

Running out is the best thing. I love the added fabric and the way you blended it into the border. Almost a 3D effect. Congratulations.

Kat Scribner said...

It's a great quilt top. THe final border frames it nicely!

gayle said...

Wow! I think there's more soaring than diving here!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I really like the way you put this quilt all together. Love the sashing. Gives me new ideas. The final border frames it nicely. Thanks for sharing. mary in Az

em's scrapbag said...

Love how this turned out! Great job!

Cathy said...

Great use of scraps...you've made something fun and useful from almost nothing. I think it's a good thing you ran out of the sashing fabric because your substitute blending into the last border adds interest.

I have a question from your last post...do you always press all your seams open or just the sashing? I rarely press open but I'm thinking that it would be best if I did especially on the quilts I hand quilt. I find it difficult to press open the 1/4 inch seams though.

Mari said...

Amazing job! I love how the added pieces in the first border blend into the final border. It looks almost like a broken window frame. What a nice effect on a lovely quilt.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

LOVE!

audrey said...

This quilt came together so fast! Such a wonderful use of your scraps!

Kyle said...

Having to add a different fabric to the inner border follows the character of the quilt. A positive solution.

Charlotta said...

Just love the yellow dashing! I'm pretty sure I never would've thought of using that print, but it's just perfect. I've had similar experiences with borders, when friends have suggested or pulled a to me surprising fabric for a Border on one of my quilts, I can immediately see that it's perfect yet I know I never would've thought of trying it myself. So I often ask for Border suggestions, and wish I had that great insight myself!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A great finish! I've really enjoyed watching how you worked through this too!

Kaja said...

Great job! Running out of the yellow newsprint was serendipitious, as your solution works perfectly.

Preeti said...

Dumpster Diving? Such gorgeous colors and such an unflattering name? Each block shines and shimmers. Very clever borders :-) Fabulous finish indeed!!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love it - and the border is a winner!

Monica said...

Love, love, love that final clover fabric for the border! It completely transforms the quilt, with those "holes" in the sashing and the frame for the strong blocks. Beautiful finish!

Magpie Sue said...

Having to make the quilt wider turned out to be a boon. Love the way the two prints work together to frame the blocks!

QuiltGranma said...

What a FUN quilt!

Edith said...

What a great use of scraps, this is a delightful guilt.

claudia said...

This is beautiful!!!

PaulaB quilts said...

The pieced border gives it the spark of unpredictability and zing.. a great finish.

Kaja said...

I'm not surprised you are happy with this. I love this way of setting the strips and your choices for sashing and border are spot on. Love it!

Ann said...

So happy to see this one finished. Love the colors and layout. Great sashing and border solutions, too. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.

Mary Marcotte said...

I had to look twice to see that the strips are actual strips. I thought for a moment that the middle block on the top row was a single piece of fabric. They really work together, these fabrics. How could you not love it? It's beautiful and just the right size for a lap quilt.