Friday, January 13, 2012

April's Barn



The barn for April took a bit more sketching
and plotting and testing . . .




In the end, I'm pleased that it was worth the extra effort!


* * *

Elsewhere in the studio ~



I've  loaded photos of quilty-work shared
by many of my blogging friends
into this digital photo frame that now
sits just to the right of my sewing machine.

The silently rotating images offer a
colorful, encouraging presence.



Taking advantage of sales here and there,
I have gotten all of my annual and AAQI quilt journals,
along with other quilty resource material,
organized into white insertable-cover notebooks.
(replacing a chaotic jumble of colors and styles)



And I set up my notebook for 2012's quilt journal.
Last year's phrase was "keeping it real."

This year?

"Just because I can, does not mean I should."

* * *

Funny, isn't it ~
I love lots of color and scrappiness in my quilts,
but I need order and calm to encourage my creativity. . .

And speaking of creativity,
did you see the awesome graphic that Karen posted?
I think we can ALL relate!


Quiltdivajulie

17 comments:

Millie said...

Love, love, LOVE this barn!

Clare said...

Great barn!

Julie - you are so organised. I've got stuff everyone and can't get myself motivated to clear it all up. More books arriving next week so perhaps that will make me get more organised.

Clare said...

Doih! Everyone = everywhere!

Michele said...

Love the barn! And your organization.

*karendianne. said...

This barn is really neat. Very detailed piecing. Looks highly difficult. …and yeah, what about that darn Karen? She sure isn't as organized as you are. Hey, by the way, are you thinking of doing any Trunk Shows again?

Teresa said...

Love the barns you are creating!

Richard Healey said...

Again I have to say wow. I am looking forward to each new barn. I am new to quilting and as such ask some good (or to some dumb) questions. The 2nd blog today I have heard people mention a quilting journal or diary etc. What exactly is this and why do such a thing. Any way in pursuit of quilting skills.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com/

Quiltdivajulie said...

RE Quilt Journals

I learned from one of my first quilt teachers to keep a looseleaf notebook with photos, notes, and details of the quilts I've made (date finished, size, inspiration, destination, recipient, etc.).

Looking back now over seven years, Catherine's notebooks were one of the very best examples of advice for a new quilter. I can't count the number of times I've gone back to see "when" I made a certain quilt or to look up other details or to find a photo of a quilt that was given away.

. . . as an aside, my double minor in college was history and library science -- notice any connection to my habits today? :-)

Brenda said...

lovely calm in the studio. I fear mine is not the same -- I'm just happy when the work table is cleared. I like the barns. are you free-piecing them or paper piecing?
Also, I spy a little selvage needle book that came out of the chaos over here.

Elaine M said...

WOW! Another great barn and so different from the others.

Nancy said...

Aprils' barn is my favorite, so far.

O'Quilts said...

The sky in April's barn is perfect. It sets a great mood.

Angie said...

I've always had a fascination with barns, so was excited to see yours...the are all good, but this one outshines all the others! Beautiful, and I love the sky too! Way to go! Can't wait to see the rest of them...

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oooh, I like April's barn the best so far too! Looks like the one my dad built on our farm when I was a kid!

Leanne said...

I am slowly catching up on my internet reading so have read about all the barns at once. They are wonderful, I love them. A very fun project.

Magpie Sue said...

What a relief to learn that you have had an education in library science! Nor did I have anyone to "show me the way" when I was just starting out on my quiltmaking journey. I feel better about myself and how long it's taken me to develop a system for keeping track of my work. ;- )

The extra effort on April's barn really paid off. I love the sky!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You inspire me, sister!