This was the view as I sat and worked on the binding of Nann's placemats and our March utility mats.
Each time I glanced up, I noticed my inspiration board.
The colors in this butterfly struck me with their similarity to those in the piano key border pieces.
And suddenly I knew what I wanted to do with the panel project.
If you look closely at the first photo, you'll notice that I lifted the top row of piano keys to allow for another border between them and the panel - that extra space top and bottom will resolve the proportional issues I've been pondering.
I'll fill that space with some scrappy 3" finished HSTs (Young Man does love his triangles).
From left to right:
fabrics for the row of HSTs - consistent gold, multiple red violets
piano key segments
border fabric used next to panel - may or may not repeat it for the second skinny border
fabrics for the outer border - scrappy teals with turquoise strips to be inserted between the teal segments
And this clearance-priced fabric is winging its way to my house to be used in conjunction with the dragon scales backing. Young Man is quite excited by this addition.
Now to get busy and sew . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
Suzanne McMinn (thanks, JCH)
8 comments:
This panel will be so lovely with that new bordering idea you came up with...I love your piano key segments...great colors...
hugs for a great weekend of sewing ahead Julierose
Inspiration was in front of you all along!
It's so much fun when all of the ideas come together in a solution.
LM's Dragon quilt is going to be spectacular and your newly found clearance fabric will be the cherry on top ... or on the back! Have fun bringing this imagined quilt to reality. :-)
Hugs!
I love when all the mental cogitating on ideas jells and something great appears. I love to see you work on the graph paper like I do- I keep getting dissed because I won't work in EQ. The butterfly inspiration is wonderful. Butterflies are particularly important to me.
Your quote is by Suzanne McMinn. Nice quilt 🙂
Your quote is by Suzanne McMinn. Cute quilt too. 🙂
Nice progress and fun fabric on the way, Julie. Good idea for the quilt's expansion, too!
Post a Comment